Train 2.0 question

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Train 2.0 question

Post by ManaUser »

I think what you do is make sure you have enough trains to saturate all producer stops. If you have more (for example) copper ore than you need right now, that just means every copper mine will have a full train waiting for a place to deliver it. Trains are not expensive, so this is fine. Remember that by default an interrupt can't interrupt another interrupt, so if it's an interrupt that tells the train "next stop, copper smelting", a depot interrupt can't override this. Only after completing the delivery will it check interrupts again and go refuel if needed or wait at a depot if all producer stops are full.

Where you could have a problem is if you don't have enough of something. Say you've got two iron smelting stops and your iron mines can't keep up with both, then you might have a situation where only one gets deliveries. The solution in this case is to build more iron mines until you're not short anymore.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ManaUser wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:10 pm
Remember that by default an interrupt can't interrupt another interrupt
There are Interrupt Interrupts, though they are more limited in scope on what they can do, iirc.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Roflhouse42
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Roflhouse42 »

Updating this thread as there is an interesting new feature, they just announced in FFF #395. Priority can now be set to favor stops. I am thinking that my original issue could likely be solved by setting input resources like iron, coal, copper, etc as simply a higher priority. This will mean that input resources can be saturated first.

That solution i think works but will likely require some close monitoring. If you are say expanding for example i think that it could be possible to stall out the factory by pulling trains away from the main factory. So you would need to add additional trains to the network while expanding to compensate. It is an improvement for sure and the new easy train launching would help that issue. But you still need to monitor the ratio of stops to trains to make sure you aren't short. You will also need a number of trains relative to the number of input resource stations which could be annoying.

I think the real solution i will likely be using is groups of generic trains now. For example, having a group of trains going to stations named "Raw Inputs" and a group of trains going to "Main Factory" would separate your trains into those for going for raw mining resources and those for crafting. You might need to split raw inputs into iron, coal, copper, etc, for truly large megabases but that is fine. This would also allow you to expand to have multiple hubs of crafting if necessary. For example if you are tiling out a megabase. the "Main Factory" group of trains would be relative to how much you are crafting where the "Raw Inputs" groups would likely be saturated by trains. Priority seems interesting but tedious to actually manage because train stops run out of resources over time, unless you are using them to just label all input resources as higher priority but if you are doing that i think i would rather just have 2 groups.

Return to “General discussion”