What FPS/UPS do you usually play at?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

What FPS/UPS do you usually play at?

Post by NineNine »

I've been playing one game for a long time. I just recently tried to launch a new game and I was shocked at how fast Factorio plays on a new map. It'd been so long since I played a new map, I forgot how quickly Factorio plays for a small factory. As it turns out, my main factory runs at about <10 FPS/UPS all of the time!

What speed does your main factory play at? If you're running at < 60 FPS/UPS, does it bother you? Have you improved your hardware to squeeze out more FPS/UPS?

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: What FPS/UPS do you usually play at?

Post by NineNine »

Generally, I'm running at 6-9 FPS/UPS.

My main game is a vanilla factory running at 2-3K SPM, depending on what part of the factory I'm improving at the time. I've got about 2000 trains and 3000 stations. I'm running on a pretty fancy computer that I put together just for Factorio! It's running an AMD 7850X3D, 64 GM DDR5 RAM, and some fancy AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT. So, while it's running at about 1/10 of what the original game ran at, I don't particular mind. When I'm putting down blueprints, I'm building such huge amounts of stuff now, that I kind of like to see it all be built slower to make sure I didn't make a mistake. And, I feel like I need the slower speed to be able to keep an eye out for problems that inevitably crop up.

If I could spend some money on hardware for a significant improvement, I'd probably do it, but I don't mind playing the game at the speed it's at.

Vulkandrache
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Vulkandrache »

I use a speedmod to have the game run at 2x most of the time.
Thats alot nicer for getting stuff done.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I prefer 60 UPS/FPS, sont that's what I stick to.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I once got as low as 12 before i could finish what was planned, that was pretty bad without the GTTS mod. It felt like i was increasing production, but gamespeed kept decreasing making it no faster IRL.

20 for me is fine for longer time but still 30 feels much better that's what i set it to when i play on laptop and want to save battery.

Otherwise 60 !

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Normal game and normal base runs with 60 ups. I'm also building a megabase with 4.9 kspm in a sandbox map with lab tiles, and with everything except mines it got down to about 50 ups. This was with a Core-i7 6700k. I bought a new computer with a Core-i5 13600k, and it's back at 60, even with all the mines completed. However, it's still just lab without environment, biters and mall, so on a real map it will be probably more stressed.

The base contains 454 trains and 485 stations and about 1000 logistics robots, mainly supplying the fuel to the stations and to the nuclear reactor. Almost everything else runs with inserters.

I'm not struggling with too many trains and moving parts - I'm struggling with the base being too compact, so trains suffer from congestion and thus the inability to supply every unloading station. It's not possible yet to port this to a real map and include a mall for producing things, because that would push train congestion over the edge. I need that elevated tracks+trains just announced for 2.0, so my base might have to wait another year.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

My FPS/UPS has never dropped below 60 in normal play, other than like some random mod causing a lagspike once in a blue moon. My biggest base is a 2k SPM vanilla base.

I could maybe tolerate down to 50 UPS, 40 at lowest, but not less than that.

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

MEOWMI wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:58 am
My FPS/UPS has never dropped below 60 in normal play, other than like some random mod causing a lagspike once in a blue moon. My biggest base is a 2k SPM vanilla base.
My base must be an absolute disaster in terms of UPS if you can run at 60 with a 2K SPM vanilla base!

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

You can post your save in viewtopic.php?p=115772#p115772 to show it to others, someone might have a comment on the ups. "Interesting" saves are sometimes commented by the devs and possible reasons given.

Low ups can have 2 completely different reasons:
1. slow hardware (you have fast hardware, but of someone else is able to run your save with significantly higher ups, this might point to defective hardware on your side)
2. big, complex factory setup (in this case only faster hardware or simplified factory could help)

fidek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fidek »

NineNine wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:42 pm
MEOWMI wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:58 am
My base must be an absolute disaster in terms of UPS if you can run at 60 with a 2K SPM vanilla base!
At least you know there's room for improvement and that's what the game is about, right? :)

My base is ~2.7k SPM and I run at 60 UPS/FPS too. Only that I have ~200 trains (1-4 trains mostly) but it's still not optimal when I compare myself to Nilaus :D
I have already posted a savegame here so you can have a look.

To add my two cents here as soon as my UPS drops to a lower value consistently I will start worrying what can I do to bring it back to 60. I'm not doing much to counter that yet apart from limiting nuclear power plants in favor of more solar power. According to debug info I still have room for expanding the base without dropping UPS.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

I play at 60 FPS. Recently upgraded a 4.5year old PC, fps drops below 60 was one of the reasons. After hardware replacement, I thought once, that it's a bit expensive way to stay at 60 fps :lol: but I usually do upgrades every five years.

I also did some investigation about what hardware component limit FPS/UPS most, and it appears memory bandwidth.
So if one have too low FPS, replacing memory modules with faster, if motherboard allow it, may solve the problem for not so much money.

Return to “General discussion”