Mobile Version in the future?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Trace_117
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mobile Version in the future?

Post by Trace_117 »

So I know that we already have the switch version which is technically "mobile", but I'd LOVE to see a mobile version. Especially with the new Iphone promax, galaxy 24 Ultra, and zfold 5 (plus the next iteration of the ROG phone) it FEELS like mobile phones are getting to the point of being able to handle the game. If this has been addressed in another thread, i apologize and would love a li k to it, since i didnt see one when i searched.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mobile Version in the future?

Post by Qon »

Many devices like phones might be able to run the Factorio program. But the question is, can they run a full Factorio factory big enough to clear the game? And also, does the device have the proper input capabilities to actually be playable, instead of just being a non-interactive "game" that can run but not played? But a phone with a wireless controller would work, those must exist. And switch version is played with that. But it still seems like a too small market and a too small screen, who would play on the phone and bring a controller when a switch or laptop or desktop is a better option? A folding phone or a tablet might have screen bigger than a switch though. But that is a tiny market for now I think.

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

I couldn't imagine a Hell worse than trying to play Factorio on a mobile device.

Abarel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Abarel »

Qon wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:15 pm
And also, does the device have the proper input capabilities to actually be playable, instead of just being a non-interactive "game" that can run but not played?
A Pen with a single button can be used as a mouse. Several games like Factorio are not easy to play without a keyboard (a virtual kb would consume part of an already small screen), so I would discard real time fast response (like combat), but maybe for maintenance while away from your computer...
I tried a few PC games on Galaxy Note 3 + Pen (yes, some years ago) and it was good enough for me, but the limiting factor was battery duration. Now I am a bit older, and my eyes would just refuse any further attempt :-D

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

NineNine wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:52 pm
I couldn't imagine a Hell worse than trying to play Factorio on a mobile device.
Abarel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:29 am
Qon wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:15 pm
And also, does the device have the proper input capabilities to actually be playable, instead of just being a non-interactive "game" that can run but not played?
A Pen with a single button can be used as a mouse. Several games like Factorio are not easy to play without a keyboard (a virtual kb would consume part of an already small screen), so I would discard real time fast response (like combat), but maybe for maintenance while away from your computer...
I did mention a controller. There must be controllers that you can connect to phones/tablets. And Factorio is on switch, which is played with a controller, so that input method must be decent enough for casual Factorio play, including some combat.

Trace_117
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Trace_117 »

So i personally have a z fold 5. It is definitely big enough when open, and i agtee that peripheral support is a must. Fortunately android supports Playstation and Xbox controllers as well as usb/bluetooth keyboards and mice

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Trace_117 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:14 pm
If this has been addressed in another thread, i apologize and would love a li k to it, since i didnt see one when i searched.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=299
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3451
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25825
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63485

But also
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15011 Generic ARM
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22024 iPad
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Trace_117
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Trace_117 »

Koub wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:47 am
Trace_117 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:14 pm
If this has been addressed in another thread, i apologize and would love a li k to it, since i didnt see one when i searched.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=299
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3451
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25825
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63485

But also
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15011 Generic ARM
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22024 iPad
Thank you! None of these showed up in my search. Despite the threads being quite old, im happy to see that it is at least a consideration. I know the devs are very busy with the expansion so it looks like ill just have to wait to feed my addiction outside of my home. That being said, if any of the devs happen to scroll by this Id love to see it happen. I also volunteer for early testing! :D

EustaceCS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

NineNine wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:52 pm
Ever heared of Dwarf Fortress? Used to play it on Lenovo Yoga back in the day. Even enjoyed it. Although yea, it's a hell in comparison with Factorio even on PC...

USB mice and keyboards are not PC-exclusive.

Return to “General discussion”