The big question: Are you going to try v2?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

The big question: Are you going to try v2?

Post by NineNine »

That's been the biggest question in my mind over the past week: Do I want to play version 2? And even more... do I even want to *try* version 2?

I have complete confidence that the fine people over at Wube will make 2.0 very cool. The only thing is that I'm so into the mechanics of 1.1, that I really don't know if I *want* to play v2. I've got a nice vanilla base doing about 2k science that I really don't want to abandon, but I can't spend time building two different factories with 2 different sets of mechanics (largely, because I'll get confused).

What do you think? Are you excited about v2, or are you going to cling to v 1.1 as long as you can?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The big question: Are you going to try v2?

Post by Tertius »

I will get v2. 0, start a new game with it, and probably never look back. New game, new challenges, new fun.

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

All BPs have already been deleted for a clean slate. :mrgreen:

This is a new chapter for the game and tbh I'm ready to dive in once it releases. Sure there will be all kinds of new mechanics/optimizations/content but I have faith the devs won't make it lose what made it good in the first place.

As for your current game, I'm pretty sure there was a recent FFF/dev comment that 1.1 games can be played in 2.0/SA, so if you're that invested in your factory, that could be an option.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

I found myself in the same predicament. I have a huge complicated map. Do I continue the map in 2.0? There will be a lot of reworking. Do I play 1.1? I think there is no way I could stand not playing the new DLC. So my decision was I will make the best out of the DLC and start fresh. But now I have to wait lol and dont want to put more time in my current map! To make matters worse, all the FFFs are awesome and I wanna play it now!! Agonizing!!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

No doubt I will
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

Yes I will try V2.0.

The new rail system and the smarter robots are things I was waiting for. So I will start a new game and enjoy this and other new features.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

Nosferatu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nosferatu »

I think i will not try V2 Vanilla.
I don't have enough time time to try space age and V2.

That means my 500 hours+ run will end when V2 hits and a new Space age run will start.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

• Given the embarrassingly low price ($20) I paid for Factorio originally...
  • Given the sheer quality (as a software developer, working in a shop that fixes every bug the way Wube does is my dream)...
  • Given the staggering number of hours I've put into the game...
  • Given the mod-friendliness that keeps the game fresh after I've played through the "normal" game repeatedly...
...well, I allocated the money for this expansion long ago, regardless of what it might end up costing.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I will try V2 as soon as i can, default settings at least 1 time just tryng to reach "the end", and probably another time with the increased knowledge from the first run to try and get a base made to last a little longer, before i try to change things with mods ( and if modders are not too busy playing the game to update their mods ).

I think i will try peacefull rail world after that if it's too early for mods. Or if there is any settings that is new from the expansion, i will want to try them out.

I have played a little under 40 map that lasted more than 100 hours but most also under 250 hours. That's when they are my factories, and i also join random multiplayer or my friends factory sometimes, as such i don't feel like clinging to 1.1.

I feel like the expansion is a reason to play another run with some friends that played the game once or twice back then and liked it but didn't got as addicted as i am.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I definitely will try 2.0. Will I play it? You mean, will I abandon my unfinished megabase? I think no, unless some killer features will be introduced. Advanced rails will not kill my base.
Anyway, I think I will not start large megabase in 2.0 at once, I will wait for most serious bugfixes and balancing changes.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

V2 vanilla without Space Age, probably not. Only, if it gets released way before Space Age.
Space Age, most definitely.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Well, I don't have any particular attachments to current ongoing bases, so....

But trying out v2 without vs with expansion? It is yet to be determined if I'll buy the expansion, but if I do, then I probably will see no real reason to play v2 without it.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I plan on doing a new, huge run when the expansion comes out. I plan on staying on v2 too. On older saves, I think I'll still stick to v1, if I do continue playing them at all.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I don’t usually play vanilla anymore. I’m too fond of certain QoL mods (such as Concreep and VisionRadar). I will likely give Vanilla 2.0 a shot, at least until some mods are updated to the new version, but after that, likely not.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

To extend my previous post: I'll definitely get the expansion, not just update my original Factorio to 2.0. Then start a new playthrough of the whole game including the expansion as if it was a completely new game. I did know nothing about Factorio 1, but it totally matched what I have fun with, so I'm quite sure it's the same with the expansion, since the developers didn't aim for changing the scope and the general direction of the game, only what is available within the game.

I'm not the type who plays mods over mods, I'm more the type who thoroughly investigates the possibilities of the vanilla game. Mods I install are QoL mods that adapt operating the game and make it more useable. I would be able to remove all mods, and my factories would continue to run without change. I see Factorio+Space Age as one new product I will play as a whole, not as base game + expansion.

thedoh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thedoh »

Absolutely. If I could preorder today I would. :)

Will I speedrun it? I don't know. I mainly speedrun 100% so if the achievements aren't doable in one run, or add many hours more, I'll stay with 1.x 100%. If my team adopts 2.0 for multiplayer, I'll definitely speedrun it with the team.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Keep in mind that alot of the changes will affect the base game too, so you'll have to adapt anyway.
The real V2 will be like a mod that you try, or not.

That said, I'm actually not sure if I'd extensively play it, since I'm more into the big reworks that are not spaceX (Seablock, pY). Simply not my theme, I don't like multiple worlds. That's why I didn't continue DysonSphere.

Will I buy it? BIG YES!
I bought vanilla for 20€, and I'm close to 4000h. I bought 2 more copies to close family teens who love it. I gifted it to my best friend.
Wube deserves it. Best dev team ever.

Ferox_Stormdragon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ferox_Stormdragon »

Definitely, i will do a V2.0 run first to try out all the new features that came with the update and redo my blueprints before going into SA.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Of course, I'll buy new Factorio expansion as soon as it will be available!

I just don't know yet, is it more fun to adapt existing base with 4k SPM or start a new game.

Usually I found starting phases of new Factorio type games less interesting, compared to expanding and upgrading already build bases.

Related to quality of the game - Wube is the best. They keep fixing quite minor bugs, that appear only in so rare situations, like a cat walking on a keyboard did something wrong with a blueprint in a multiplayer game :lol: . While some other factory building games, like Dual Universe, replies: "we are aware of the problem, that a stuck factory unit is not visible, but not planning to do anything about it...".
Last edited by Dixi on Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

EustaceCS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

Is there any point in NOT trying v2?
Drone IQ upgrade alone warrants some extra hours investment. Just to give it a spin.
More convenient rails? Twice as nice!
And there's probably more.

Return to “General discussion”