Pre Space DLC saves

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
bgfsdf
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pre Space DLC saves

Post by bgfsdf »

What are the chances that if i were to start a non modded save now and play, when the space expansion drops i could keep it going with the new drop added into it? Or would it be better to prob start a new save with the DLC drop?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Pre Space DLC saves

Post by Xorimuth »

This implies that technically, you could just take your vanilla base, activate the expansion, and continue playing. But the best way to experience it will be to play with Space Age from start to finish.
From https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-373.

Having read today's FFF 377, you'd also be wanting to replace your rail system when you update to 2.0/SpaceAge. There may be other things yet to be announced which make restarting even more preferable to just loading an old save.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I'm sure the 2.0 game has so many changes in everything, so many things balanced slightly different, it's best to start playing a 2.0 map from scratch. May be even map generation has been tweaked.
My plan is to bring all projects and maps to some conclusion within the time left until the DLC is released, then forget all what was before, remove all old saves, and start fresh as if it is a brand new game.

In FFF #373 it was said the release is expected in about one year, so I my time frame is to bring whatever I start to a conclusion in September 2024 and not start anything with a longer time frame, and then either wait or only start tiny stuff. At that time, we probably know better the release date.

d_o_n_t_understand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by d_o_n_t_understand »

Today's FFF says that loading old saves with an old-style rail system will be allowed, you just won't be able to build old-style rails. If they made rail systems compatible, they will probably do the same with other things (it's additional work to ensure such compatibility, so I suspect they wouldn't do that here if they don't plan to do this in other places)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

d_o_n_t_understand wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:38 pm
(it's additional work to ensure such compatibility, so I suspect they wouldn't do that here if they don't plan to do this in other places)
Is it? Or is it simply a matter of not deleting the original entities (and only updating the rail planner)?
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

d_o_n_t_understand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by d_o_n_t_understand »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:00 pm
d_o_n_t_understand wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:38 pm
(it's additional work to ensure such compatibility, so I suspect they wouldn't do that here if they don't plan to do this in other places)
Is it? Or is it simply a matter of not deleting the original entities (and only updating the rail planner)?
We don't know how deep the engine changes had to be to implement new rails, but even if you're right, there has to be at least a test case for that.

solidzaku
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by solidzaku »

I'll be honest. I have literal days put into my SE megabase, but I'm looking forward to retiring it for a clean Space Age save.

Return to “General discussion”