FFF is killing me

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hopscotch1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: FFF is killing me

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

mmmPI wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:33 am
Hopscotch1337 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:56 pm
Anybody has the same feelings? Help D*:
I guess all those persons waiting in queue in front of stores to buy the latest thing. I've always seen that just on TV and never related but i think i understand a little bit better now :)

Aren't FFF like free-lootboxes that someones open for you every week ? Such anticipation before knowing what's going to be announced ? The great please or upset when seeing it after waiting the whole week ? Unlike loot-boxes though, you only pay when everything is revealed , not before; the thrill of the opening is free :D
That is in deed a nice way of looking on the FFF :)
Tertius wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:24 pm
Everybody has to learn to wait at some point in their phase of growing up.

Patience is something you can celebrate. I, for example, am currently trying to sit out Facebook. I expect them fall, and I'm currently waiting for it. I saw them spawn, I saw them growing, I saw them being big. I assume they will vanish like all the other social web services before, and the crowd will move forward. Since then I'm waiting for its fall. The decline has started, although it's not clear when exactly it started, how fast it will be, and what will remain after the fall.
It's like life watching the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, just on a slightly smaller timescale. Not Meta, I mean the product still called Facebook. It was founded 19 years ago, and in 19 years in the future, I expect myself still being around, but Facebook not. Just be patient, and future will tell. And you can be assured, future will definitely happen.
Yeah you are right about that one. I stopped using Facebook 3 years ago, there where so many people posting so much BS so i started to /unfollow them, one year later i did not get any updates, because I /unfollowed 95% of all my "friends". After that I just realized that I don´t need facebook at all and that these "sozial networks" are the most unsozial place you could ever be, so I stopped using any of them ;D

Also one reason why I can not wait for the release is that I am spoiled with all the new features and don´t want to start an old savefile or even a new playthrough. That means für me one year without factorio. I bearly made the last 3 month :O
Can we make a kickstart to make 2.0 happen until christmas? ;D

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Hopscotch1337 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:01 pm
Can we make a kickstart to make 2.0 happen until christmas? ;D
Unfortunately, it isn't possible to do one man year's work in one day just by hiring 250 people for that one day.

Inscius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Inscius »

My initial reaction to Space age and 2.0 was definitely "I need this NOW". But I've found my perspective changing somewhat as more FFF's have been released. Not that the update doesn't look great, I'm still excited to play it. But I also know that it will change the game a lot, and that I'm in all likelihood not going back to the current version after Space Age releases. This means that my time with the base game is limited, and so it's been motivating me to do the things I've thus far put on the "this would be fun to do sometime" shelf. Such as getting the achievements I don't yet have, or actually trying to finish a modded playthrough for once.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Inscius wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 pm
This means that my time with the base game is limited, and so it's been motivating me to do the things I've thus far put on the "this would be fun to do sometime" shelf. Such as getting the achievements I don't yet have, or actually trying to finish a modded playthrough for once.
I share those feelings, It prompted me to play a game with the mod space exploration again, because it had been long time, i know the mod received a lot of update since last time i played it, and it was always something i had in mind, let's replay a space exploration game, like in a shelf, but with the expansion arriving , i have the same feeling that i need to play it now, because i expect it to change in the future to adapt to the expansion new possibilities. (i feel it would be like playing version 1 and 3 if i don't play now that it is at version 2).

Inscius wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:59 pm
But I also know that it will change the game a lot, and that I'm in all likelihood not going back to the current version after Space Age releases.
I don't fully share that part, i'm around 150 hours in that space exploration game and i think i have reached 50% of the techs, but that represent 10% of the time to finish the playthrough given current slow pace and rough estimation of the future complexity and scaling required and capabilities of my current base. I had played space exploration before, and really enjoyed it, but also felt it was such a long playthrough that i DID go back playing other mods or shorter game after my first playthrough and was postponing making my own 2nd solo playthrough of it for quite some time.

I know the expansion is balanced to be faster to finish if you try to rush "the end" so the situation is a little different, but it also allow new possibilities for end game with the quality features that seems as if it can be used unrelated to space. As such,i expect there will still be some appeal to play without going into space even after the expansion is released just for the sake of simplicity, speedrunning, or testing a system at a smaller scale/shorter game. ( or if for some reason one dislike the space gameplay , some replayability is still added in the "base version" with "quality" and rails bridges too ).

borgiedude
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by borgiedude »

Gergely wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:11 pm
Factorio Friday Facts did change huh...

I don't like the current ones for two reasons:

Upgrades for the base Factorio experience are still golden, but the bittersweet issue is all of that is 2.0 which is more than a year away. I wanted the bot buffs for so long it still feels like we will never get them, and yet there's the impending doom of burning blueprints thanks to rail system changes in a year. (SO glad my 50x50 tiles will still work.) Still, that alone does not ruin a weekly devblog.

News about the expansion bother me because I want a blind Factorio experience for once. Let me preorder it and forget it exists until it surprise downloads itself one day. I trust I will be playing it. It's not like the developers owe us a weekly update like when the game was in beta. Right now I'm trying to use an AI to get an early warning if I'm about to be spoiled and I just skip the FFF if that's the case. (Though I did read the one about Quality.)
What I do to fix these issues is:

1) don't play Factorio until the expansion comes out
2) don't read updates unless it's just about quality of life or changes to existing entities.

There's a word in German, Spannungsbogen (I think), which is the bow string tension that comes from delaying something you desire. I'm trying to build that tension and await the great release. I hope I make it 👷

TheKillerChicken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheKillerChicken »

I takes these FFFs with a grain of salt as I have an infinite level of patience towards WUBE and their development of the expansion pack. It does interest me, but my will to wait for it is at an infinite level, so I do not give in to the weakness of this hype (or any hype for that matter) as it can be very dangerous and mentally draining.

Return to “General discussion”