Quality level names poll

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

What names would you like to use for Factorio quality levels?

Crude (1)
2%
Rough (1)
1%
Basic (1)
6%
Common (1)
2%
Fair (1)
0%
Normal (1)
4%
Standard (1 or 2)
5%
Uncommon (2)
2%
Improved (2)
12%
Good (2 or 3)
2%
Enhanced (2 or 3)
2%
Fine (2 or 3)
2%
Select (3)
0%
Precise or Precision (3)
4%
Superior (3)
8%
Rare (3)
2%
Excellent (3 or 4)
4%
Optimised (3 or 4)
3%
Premium (3 or 4)
2%
Superfine (4)
1%
Exceptional (4)
11%
Great (4)
1%
Superb (4)
1%
Epic (4)
2%
Masterpiece (4 or 5)
1%
Pristine (5)
2%
Flawless (5)
6%
Legendary (5)
2%
Ultimate (5)
1%
Perfect (5)
7%
Something else
2%

Total votes: 626

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Quality level names poll

Post by sparr »

I want five names with sequential starting letters, preferably not starting at A or ending at Z to allow for expansion later.

Common
D
Enhanced
Fine
Great

Normal
Optimized
Pristine
Q
Refined

etc

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

sparr wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:08 pm
I want five names with sequential starting letters, preferably not starting at A or ending at Z to allow for expansion later.
Here's a shot at filling in the gaps...

Common
Decent or Distinct
Enhanced
Fine
Great

Normal
Optimized
Pristine
Quality or Quintessential or Quaint
Refined

Mango
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mango »

I was originally for changing the fantasy names to something industrial from the list.

Later I thought that the numbering approach like [Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5] or [0, +1, +2, +3, +4] would be better, because you automatically know what is better without remembering the names and because it leaves space for modding. (perfect is by definition the best you can get)

But I think this problem is solved by the quaility color and numbering would just unnecessarily remove immersion. So once again I'm leaning towards the industrial naming.

I wrote my list somewhere before, but anyway I have an urge to defend my choices.

Normal - or nothing, just name of the item
Fine - you made some effort to improve the item and it starts to show up - somewhat lucky at this point
Improved - you actually spent some time to improve the item
Exceptional - you are making improved items and this one stands out with its exceptional quality
Perfect - just perfect, nothing to improve anymore
Hm.... so we have a mystery donor... intriguing.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Mango wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 pm
[...]
I had a similar thought process when I picked mine on the previous page. :lol:

The more I think about it however and the more discussions I read in various places... I think in practice the community will settle to refer to the levels from Q1-Q5, or they go by colors; so everyone immediately knows what is being talked about to avoid confusion.

And as for names... people will only talk either about Normal (because that is what you start out with & will have the most of) or Legendary (because that is what you will aim for)

The other names in between will rarely be talked about in practice because they only serve as intermediates that are either crafted away or recycled.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

There seems to have been a flurry of recent interest in this, prompted by the Fulgora FFFs. I was on the point of 'calling it' and putting up a run-off poll, but it seems that the level 1 names are still in flux. 'Improved' and 'Exceptional' have majority support for 2 and 4, while 'Superior' and 'Perfect' have fairly comfortable pluralities for 3 and 5. But for level 1 its a three-way race: the long-time leader 'Normal' has now been overtaken by 'Basic', with 'Standard' also still in contention. So let's wait a little longer and see if 'Basic' maintains its position ...

ChefOfRamen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ChefOfRamen »

Let's please not make Q1 "basic", that feels a bit like you're "supposed" to use higher quality tiers, when quality is supposed to be optional.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ChefOfRamen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:00 am
Let's please not make Q1 "basic", that feels a bit like you're "supposed" to use higher quality tiers, when quality is supposed to be optional.
Except qualities only start appearing when you start using them, so Q1 being "basic" is not an issue.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

XT-248
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

I hope the existence of the poll results and the popularity of names other than fantasy themes is enough to convince WUBE to give players an optional list of quality schemes to choose from.

Especially double so since there isn't any consensus in the community on what to use.

quaatal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by quaatal »

Gergely wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:45 pm
Refined
sparr wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:08 pm
Refined
"Refined" is most likely unavailable because one of the developers said that some new items already include "refined" in their name.

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

ChefOfRamen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:00 am
That would be a reasonable argument against 'Crude' or Rough', but I don't think 'Basic' has quite that level of negative connotation.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

XT-248 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:14 pm
I hope the existence of the poll results and the popularity of names other than fantasy themes is enough to convince WUBE to give players an optional list of quality schemes to choose from.

Especially double so since there isn't any consensus in the community on what to use.
Look, the joke about developers giving us a selection menu to configure the names was already made on page 2. It is a funny joke because it is a hilariously silly idea, but it is best told at most once. If you keep repeating it then it stops being a goofy joke and it is then just a stupid idea that I have to assume you somehow seriously think is a good one.

Also, players being confused and not agreeing on what names are the best doesn't mean there's no consensus. The developers choose the names and their consensus is all that matters. They haven't asked for your help in naming the quality levels. Your disagreement with their decision isn't "helping" them set "appropriate" names, the names are what they are because that is what they think fits best.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Qon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 pm
Look, the joke about developers giving us a selection menu to configure the names was already made on page 2. It is a funny joke because it is a hilariously silly idea, but it is best told at most once.
I am serious with this suggestion. It makes sense, because player's opinion vary and there is no consensus about the names. Proof is this name poll thread. So I'd like to help people who want their own names. Nobody is forced to change the default names or invent some before they're allowed to play. There is always the default names we all know.

You, on the other hand, have no other argument than "it's hilariously silly". I consider this rude, offending, no help, and no argument at all.

quaatal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by quaatal »

Qon wrote:
XT-248 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:14 pm

Look, the joke about developers giving us a selection menu to configure the names was already made on page 2. It is a funny joke because it is a hilariously silly idea, but it is best told at most once. If you keep repeating it then it stops being a goofy joke and it is then just a stupid idea that I have to assume you somehow seriously think is a good one.

Also, players being confused and not agreeing on what names are the best doesn't mean there's no consensus. The developers choose the names and their consensus is all that matters. They haven't asked for your help in naming the quality levels. Your disagreement with their decision isn't "helping" them set "appropriate" names, the names are what they are because that is what they think fits best.
Everyone's opinion is equally valuable. If you feel like joking, one thing related to this subject that I recently found out is that the reason why Wube chose this naming scheme was because Kovarex found "iron plate (legendary)" really funny.

I believe there should be an in-game option to change between quality names from this poll and the current lootbox-inspired ones, possibly as an easter egg. This way the developers and people who prefer engineering nomenclature will both be happy.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Tertius wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:33 pm
Qon wrote:
Look, the joke about developers giving us a selection menu to configure the names was already made on page 2. It is a funny joke because it is a hilariously silly idea, but it is best told at most once.
I am serious with this suggestion. It makes sense, because player's opinion vary and there is no consensus about the names. Proof is this name poll thread. So I'd like to help people who want their own names. Nobody is forced to change the default names or invent some before they're allowed to play. There is always the default names we all know.

You, on the other hand, have no other argument than "it's hilariously silly". I consider this rude, offending, no help, and no argument at all.
You want to help a tiny minority of players by polluting the options menu with trash options that make it harder to find the actual options for the majority of players.

Player consensus doesn't matter, because if Wube changed the default to something more "Factorio themed" then no one would ever change the settings, ever. You just don't want those names, no one cares about what it is actually changed into. There aren't suggestions to let us rename every other item in the game, because the specific names don't actually matter.

For the few things that people want to change, they use the mod system to change the game how they want it. That is what it is for. Use that like everyone else.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TransformationProcess
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Underneathies

Also, even if they implemented a setting you would still have to use the default names or the simple Q1-Q5 naming scheme when talking to anyone else about quality levels, because no one will understand your own made up language.

It makes no sense to suggest to pollute the options with fields for renaming items when both you and the devs would prefer changing the name. I'm not saying that they want to, but they definitely would want options even less because it's stupid.

I don't care if you are offended. You suggesting options isn't helping anyone either and me ridiculing this stupid suggestion is actually a bigger benefit to this community. Offending unreasonable people is a good thing because you try to use your emotions as weapons. It doesn't work on me.
quaatal wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:04 pm
Everyone's opinion is equally valuable. If you feel like joking, one thing related to this subject that I recently found out is that the reason why Wube chose this naming scheme was because Kovarex found "iron plate (legendary)" really funny.

I believe there should be an in-game option to change between quality names from this poll and the current lootbox-inspired ones, possibly as an easter egg. This way the developers and people who prefer engineering nomenclature will both be happy.
First sentence is a big lie. Game development isn't a democracy and shouldn't be. Useless people shouldn't be listened to because their opinions are worthless. And some opinions are just bad.

"Iron plate (legendary)" is pretty funny :)

Just stop wasting time on suggesting options, asking devs to just change the names to something more theme-fitting seems so much more productive because you would prefer it and it is more likely to actually happen.

Also, secondary options would also need to be translated to all the languages. It's just duplicating work in several areas.

XT-248
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

quaatal wrote:

I am aware of why and how Wube decides on this naming scheme. Technically, there is nothing wrong with their decision from their own internal video game development point of view.

There comes a point where if there is a non-trivial disagreement among the community outside of internal video game development, then it is time for Wube to listen to feedback and look to a small sample where legendary is ranked fourth out of six options for Q5 among the most passionate fans who come here to post about it on the Wube's forum.

I don't believe anyone insists on removing the 'current fantasy theme scheme' that Wube thought is funny but instead giving players (who can't even agree on what they want the naming scheme to be) options to pick what they like the most in a friendly, officially supported by Wube UX experience.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

quaatal wrote:
That's considering we are (all)fully fuctionnal informed adults willing to participate with the same motivations in the voting process. In real life there are already quite some flaws, but on internet forum ? where you have kids ands trolls ? and people can express their "opinion" several time under different accounts ? i wrote a story about it .
It would a shame if some famous artist decided to ask his dozen millions fans to all vote on this poll for name like "lililli0oO0" , "ilillio0" , "ilillio0k" , "ilillioolli0illi0" , " ill0o0oill". Maybe i should write another story to help people be less naive x).

I notice previous postes use Q1-Q5, that's what i suggested, it's not in the poll. My "valuable" opinion cannot be expressed in this poll !

Khagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khagan »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:01 am
I notice previous postes use Q1-Q5, that's what i suggested, it's not in the poll. My "valuable" opinion cannot be expressed in this poll !
That's because this poll is about the preferred names 8-) . Once those are settled, I'll post a run-off poll in which 'just numbers' will be one of the options.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Khagan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:37 am
That's because this poll is about the preferred names 8-) . Once those are settled, I'll post a run-off poll in which 'just numbers' will be one of the options.
Ah yes sorry my bad ! make sure to include kioowann, kiootwo; kiootree, kioofour and kioofive in the next one then :)

Also this poll doesn't mean the devs choosen way isn't the prefered by most players. Let's make a situation where people rank their own proposition (O), the dev proposition (D) and the result of the poll (P). with a value of points.

Player 1) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 2) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 3) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 4) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 5) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 6) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 7) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 8) O=> 10 D=>5 P=>0
Player 9) O=> 10 P=>10 D=>5
Player 10) O=> 10 P=>10 D=>5

This is supposing everyone ranks the max for their own choice, but no-one share the same opinion, everyone is divided except player 9 and 10 ,those voted the same, so they won the poll. Now for everyone else, the result of the poll is worse than the devs choice. ( player 9 and 10 wanted the top quality level to be called "datcoolshinystuffystuff" ).

I don't think everyone is informed enough to understand what it means if something ranked fourth out of six options for Q5 compared to third or second, in particular young audience, the intricacies of voting systems are something that need to be learned before voting right is acquired usually, for kids it's usually a terrible thing to ask them to vote for what they want to eat or how they want to dress. Because although one can argue , it's not recommended to eat pizzas and dress as a pirate everyday. To me Factorio is a video game that adess large audience including players that would be in the category of kids, and for which it's safer than a responsible person takes the decisions for now that the learning process is ongoing. Voting for names is a good learning experience i find, but i don't think people should take it too seriously x).

Tooster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tooster »

Qon wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:30 am
I wholeheartedly agree with the substance of your arguments. However, I find your response marred by unnecessary hostility and toxicity, which is disheartening to read. I am inclined to believe that Wube wouldn't truly condone posting in this fashion. It seems evident to me that the individual proposing this idea may lack an understanding of game design, UX, or modding intricacies. They may not yet realize that the extension points for customizing those names already exist in the form of mods with translations, for example. The tone employed in your reply appears more dismissive than instructive, failing to encourage constructive dialogue or reflection on opposing viewpoints. It comes across as belittling and derisive, using phrases like "trash", "silly idea", "it's stupid" and "your opinion doesn't matter," resorting to sarcastic remarks. If you've already decided to spend your time explaining the "whats and whys," I believe you may as well spend a bit more effort on improving the way you communicate it, so that the other party can both learn from it and feel respected. If the intention is merely to chide, then... is there even a point in replying?

> Offending unreasonable people is a good thing because you try to use your emotions as weapons. It doesn't work on me.

Going with that logic, whacking people who disagree with you (i.e. people who in your opinion are "unreasonable"), e.g. on a religious level is... encouraged and a sign of working in good faith? Thereof I think the lack of this kind of "contribution" would be more beneficial to this community than its presence...

I am disheartened to witness instances where a community that I once perceived as welcoming, inclusive, and conducive to mutual learning is tarnished by unwarranted animosity, lacking displays of empathy.

As to not fuel any more drama, I will be leaving it at that and won't be responding anymore.
Look mom, I made a mod ^^ Barrel Stages

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Tooster wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm
It seems evident to me that the individual proposing this idea may lack an understanding of game design, UX, or modding intricacies. They may not yet realize that the extension points for customizing those names already exist in the form of mods with translations, for example.
That's all correct, except what I know of mods. In this thread I have a role, and this is the player. Not the designer, not the modder. I'm playing a game, not designing it. So I propose things that might appear silly to give an idea to the devs what people think as solution who only see the surface of an app but not how it's actually working. In rare cases such input leads to an idea, and an idea to some solution, whatever it may be. Usually not what has been suggested in the first place, but a solution nonetheless. As far as I see this is a more constructive and more comprehensive approach than just "use the names from the poll". If the devs are decided on this topic, they could stop the discussion any time with a simple "we decided to do <this>", but instead of doing this, they said "names are very easy to change".

About mods: Yes, I bet one of the first genuine 2.0 mods would be the feature I'm requesting. To avoid wasted time with name discussions and duplicated effort with creating, installing and managing mods, I'm proposing this for inclusion in the vanilla game.

Return to “General discussion”