Nuclear reactor over 1000°C - ideas?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Nuclear reactor over 1000°C - ideas?

Post by Tertius »

I tinkered very much with nuclear reactors lately, and I always found it a bit simple that if a reactor heats up to 1000°C, additional heat simply vanishes. There should be some kind of encouragement to build a fueling control system.
Are there any mods that create some kind of challenge to solve from this situation?
I don't simply want a nuclear explosion. I thought of something more interesting, for example dealing with the remains of a core meltdown.

My general idea looks something like this:

Heat above 1000°C is collected internally. If some threshold of collected heat is exceeded, the reactor produces some amount of a new material called corium. Amount of corium depends on the remaining burning duration of the current fuel cell.
The collected heat is distributed to adjacent reactors, and if they are also at 1000°C and their threshold is exceeded as well, they will also produce corium.
A reactor gets a small amount of damage (hitpoints) for every piece of corium produced.
After producing corium, the reactor is at 15°C (so it needs to be heated up again from zero).
Corium has a stack size of 1 and needs to be disposed of. There is a recipe with a very long processing time that creates 1 piece of iron ore, copper ore, stone, uranium ore from 1 piece of corium. It's intended as byproduct to clog your power plant if not properly disposed of.

I searched for a mod that does something like this, however I didn't find anything. I only found mods that let the reactor explode.

It's probably not very realistic if you can automate the handling of a nuclear reactor meltdown, however it seems slightly less unrealistic than excess heat just vanishing.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Nuclear reactor over 1000°C - ideas?

Post by JimBarracus »

Maybe something like an emergency shutdown that needs to be reset manually.
The temperature should drop quickly and you need to reheat the reactor as if it was new.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I am convinced, that there is no better mod/vision than RealisticReactors.
I understand at the same time, that combinators should be optional for the average player, so I understand, why it is the way it is right now.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Gnark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gnark »

Heat over 1000°C should damage the reactor. Not much, about 10-15% for a full cell but the reactor can only be repaired when not working.
Under 50% it has a small chance to explode, increasing while damaged.

Will spice a little bit the game :D

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Yeah if you want reactor fun then go RealisticReactors mod. I tried it in 248k modpack but that mod had so many OP fusion reactors and stuff that even though realistic reactors were pain to set up and keep running they weren't worth much in terms of power production compared to dumb modded fusion reactors.
But damn those RealisticReactors were so much fun to have!

Return to “General discussion”