thoughts by a newbie

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ebenezer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

thoughts by a newbie

Post by ebenezer »

Hi everyone,
I have started with factorio 2 weeks ago and I am enjoying it greatly. I mean,I feel like the game has been designed with me in mind, I can't thank the developers enough. Just take my money.

However there is something that bugs me, and I can't help it: It's the way research is done. I am a scientist with 10+ years of experience, and I find not very plausible that one has to feed abstract things, these science packs, into labs. What is going on in the labs actually? This works very well with the game mechanics, but in a game where you produce items, you include these abstract packs. I mean, this guy belongs to a civilization that travels into space and he needs to discover how to make steel? By himself? I am trying to find an alternative, maybe rebranding the labs into communication centres that need constantly energy and materials (the packs) to keep running. Rather than discovering new technologies, the player receives the relevant information from home. Just an idea, but sounds more coherent. Any thoughts? Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Again, the game is awesome, I'll be happy to play it for the years to come.
Cheers,

Eb

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: thoughts by a newbie

Post by quinor »

I've seen similar discussion in last week somewhere. The thing is, that does not have lore explanation. Kovarex posted inspiration he had, but it has got no logical in-game reasoning behind.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

D'oh I was beaten by Ssilkbot :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ebenezer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ebenezer »

psorek wrote:I've seen similar discussion in last week somewhere. The thing is, that does not have lore explanation. Kovarex posted inspiration he had, but it has got no logical in-game reasoning behind.
Here it is:
kovarex wrote:The original idea was, that you need to make these machines and experiment with these to research new methods and technologies.
So the basic idea is that the science "packs" are sort of "lab consumables", which makes sense.
The only thing left in need of a better justification is who/what is carrying out the actual research work. However I can imagine it is the main character himself, he is already crafting complex and bulky items on the fly without a workshop of sort! He must be very good at multitasking :)

Again, congratulations to the developers for this awesome game!

Eb

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

<imho>
The labs are not researching how to make steel. You know that, obviously. They are just designing plans for the machines that will make steel.
</imho>

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good point. They are designing the "micro-blueprint" for your "crafting suite".
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ebenezer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ebenezer »

cube wrote:<imho>
The labs are not researching how to make steel. You know that, obviously. They are just designing plans for the machines that will make steel.
</imho>
Makes sense, technology is not researched but rather developed/implemented.

Return to “General discussion”