Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by Koub »

adam_bise wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:43 pm
What are you guys hoping to see in tomorrow's FFF? I want to see these so-called "different military targets" :D
Not interested in military, but I could do with more QoL. There's no such thing as too much QoL :mrgreen:.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Koub wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:15 pm
adam_bise wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:43 pm
What are you guys hoping to see in tomorrow's FFF? I want to see these so-called "different military targets" :D
Not interested in military, but I could do with more QoL. There's no such thing as too much QoL :mrgreen:.
While I am interested in military, I will agree that QoL would also be great and there can't be too much of it. :)
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

borgiedude
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Release date lead time

Post by borgiedude »

Not after a release date, but I'm wondering if we might be able to know how far in advance we will get a concrete release date (e.g. 2 months before release).

My mates and I are planning a release day LAN, but since we are all adults we would need a bit of notice to get leave from work, book baby sitters, etc.

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

For 1.0, the announcement of its date was 2 1/2 months in advance in FFF #349. Safe to say it'll probably again be in that rough range.

borgiedude
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by borgiedude »

pointa2b wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:59 am
For 1.0, the announcement of its date was 2 1/2 months in advance in FFF #349. Safe to say it'll probably again be in that rough range.
Thank you, that's a manageable lead time.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Here is me ready for 2.0!
adam_bise.png
adam_bise.png (469.87 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

You look quite prepared. I thought I was prepared, but then I saw that roll of toilet paper in your image and immediately knew what was missing.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:46 pm
You look quite prepared. I thought I was prepared, but then I saw that roll of toilet paper in your image and immediately knew what was missing.
:lol:

I was thinking it was a roll of paper towels, but I suppose tp would be better!
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Arun
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Why are you guys so pressed?

Post by Arun »

Tertius wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:04 am
I hope you have game testers that replace the public crowd from initial development that continue to tell you if you're doing "bad or stupid". Not only professional game testers (they often don't really care about a game but only about their given task on paper) but also ordinary players who play the game just for entertainment, because for us players, the entertainment value is the most important property of any game.
Absolutely! It is critical to combine inputs from expert game testers with everyday players. Professional testers provide controlled evaluations, whilst regular players provide honest input on the entertainment value of the game. Balancing these views ensures that a game not only achieves technical standards but also resonates with its audience, resulting in a satisfying experience.

Removed hidden spam. boskid
Last edited by Arun on Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:59 pm
Tertius wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:46 pm
:lol:

I was thinking it was a roll of paper towels, but I suppose tp would be better!
Paper towels for beer mishap! :D

Gabrix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gabrix »

Dear Wubers,

I love Factorio.
I loved my first playthrough and loved even more Factorio + Space Exploration.
In my 30years of gaming, Factorio+SE was one of the most amazing things i've done in videogames.

And, as many others in here, i cant wait to play the expansion.

*** PLEASE, give us a Roadmap Update ***
since it's been 6months since aug2023 when the playerbase estimated the xpac would come a year after that.

I know, i know: those estimates must enrage you when you dont want to talk about it! Hahaha
But the Engineer's curiosity is out of love, so cut us some slack.

I also want to add that i'll HAPPILY pre-purchase the xpac on Steam any time now. If you add a deluxe version... i'll be even happier!
That's out of gratitude for all the great times i've had, the sense of exploration etc

Keep on rocking, 'cause The factory must grow.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Gabrix wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:18 pm
*** PLEASE, give us a Roadmap Update ***
since it's been 6months since aug2023 when the playerbase estimated the xpac would come a year after that.

I know, i know: those estimates must enrage you when you dont want to talk about it! Hahaha
In fairness, that estimate was based on the dev's own words saying in about a year in an FFF around that time. ;)

Edit: Though, I suppose, I definitely do not envy the dev's position:
Players clamoring for information on when the expansion will be released.
The devs, knowing how hard it is to actually estimate something like this, finally say that it might be roughly another year.
The players: "The devs said it'll be released August 2024!!!1!11!!1"

Heaven forbid something goes awry and they're even a few days late....

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

As a software developer myself, I've never seen software with a firm, no-compromise release date actually be good when it's released.

"It'll be ready when it's ready" simply produces better software...when it's ready.

big_zygi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio 2.0

Post by big_zygi »

When Factorio 2.0 will be released
and
Can i pay for pre-order (it's the first game that i would do that)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into the expansion hype thread.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

NineNine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by NineNine »

Video game pre-orders are done by (scummy) companies that need to fund their development while they're doing it. Instead of borrowing money (or, how crazy is this...) building on previous profits, they instead borrow that money from the players. Once they have a large amount of pre-order money from the players, what incentive is there for them to make the game good (or even finish it)? I think if you were to compare games that did pre-orders with game quality, I bet you'd find a correlation there.

I don't think that WUBE is a (scummy) company that does that. I would bet that they'll simply release it when they're ready, and sell it for whatever the need to sell it for. It seems like a well run company. I doubt they'll do the whole pre-order thing.

Shrvvmer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shrvvmer »

will there be any additional enemies on the planets that haven't been shown yet? It would be less enjoyable without the risk of a force against you (not counting lightning on fulgrum)

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Enemies weren't mentioned at all yet. In no fff. Environmental dangers and hazards were mentioned, for example some routes to some planet require turrets to destroy asteroids hitting the space platform. But living/intelligent enemies were not discussed yet. I assume this the topic for some late fff, when the factory features are finished and combat balancing reaches its final stages.
If you ask me, different dangers on each part of the game would be ok. On Nauvis the biters. On Volcanus probaby the lava fields. On Fulgora the oil sands and lightning. The last planet is probably a water planet, so your factory might perhaps need to swim and you need to make sure it doesn't sink. One tsunami out of nowhere and swooosh, everything's gone.

Edit: oh, I just remembered there are 4 additional planets, so there is one more planet with a yet totally uncertain theme.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:40 am
Enemies weren't mentioned at all yet. In no fff.
While not exactly wrong, I don't feel as though this is entirely accurate, either.

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-386
Welcome to Vulcanus

Allow me to introduce this toasty volcanic wonderland, conveniently sandwiched between idyllic Nauvis and the sizzling sun. Vulcanus is closer to the sun than most would dare to venture but trust me, it's a splendid place to start your interplanetary travels.

Picture of Vulcanus

Our journey begins amidst the blazing volcanic mountains, imposing geological landforms that often feature a central lava pit. These fiery crucibles offer a great place to get rid of waste items; just throw them in and poof, they're gone in a glorious puff of smoke and flame. Outdated gadgets, cursed rings of power, maybe even unwanted company.
And a few videos later...
I'm sure nothing will mind if you mine a little...

video

...but who knows what might awaken in the depths of Vulcanus.

Shrvvmer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Shrvvmer »

good point, I completely forgot about the vulcanis vid and that little part. on top of that they're using a tank in that video, maybe a placeholder or just a safer vehicle to ride through the lava fields but usually its used in combat so major possibility appearing already

Return to “General discussion”