Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by ptx0 »

yep, lol pretty weird. i'm not even the only one who has lost interest, came back to see whether there's any news about this expansion and i can't believe it's been TWO AND A HALF YEARS since the announcement. good stuff LMFAO i think multiple overhaul mods have been released since then, by smaller teams, with smaller budgets.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:10 am
... good stuff LMFAO i think multiple overhaul mods have been released since then, by smaller teams, with smaller budgets.
248k, ir3, Nullius,Exotic Industries, Freight Forwarding, Unfunny Science
That's what I find were released in <2 years

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

ptx0 wrote:
yep, lol pretty weird. i'm not even the only one who has lost interest, came back to see whether there's any news about this expansion and i can't believe it's been TWO AND A HALF YEARS since the announcement. good stuff LMFAO i think multiple overhaul mods have been released since then, by smaller teams, with smaller budgets.
Would teasing an update that won’t come out for 2 years (hypothetical) help keep you interested, or would it just result in more people a year from now complaining that “it’s been a year since they said what it is and it stilll hasn’t released”?

And since you don’t know what’s being made, how can you possibly compare it to recently released overhauls, or speculate on how long it ‘should’ take?
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

The expansion will not be released before I finish my megabase that is in the works for the last 2 years. The current issue is that trains don't scale well.

acemodder
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by acemodder »

I know they don't tell us anything about the DLC pack, however I'm curious whether when they do announce it, it will be a launch at the same time, or if they will finally announe and then we have to wait like 6 months for it actually launch on top?

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Tertius wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:35 am
The expansion will not be released before I finish my megabase that is in the works for the last 2 years. The current issue is that trains don't scale well.
Ye, and expansion also does not scale well.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

pointa2b
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pointa2b »

I'm fiending for some updates.... plz Wube

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

ptx0 wrote:
i think multiple overhaul mods have been released since then, by smaller teams, with smaller budgets.
And with way, way less polish and balance and optimization.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

MEOWMI wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:30 pm
ptx0 wrote:
i think multiple overhaul mods have been released since then, by smaller teams, with smaller budgets.
but as someone said earlier, "we don't know what's being made" lol

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

ptx0 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:32 am
MEOWMI wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:30 pm
ptx0 wrote:
but as someone said earlier, "we don't know what's being made" lol
Indeed, so maybe hold off on comparing things that you don’t even know anything about?
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

pfff...

I'm still waiting since the first announcement for more information. The only one thing i can imagine why they don't show us some of the new stuff until its ready is the fact, that good modders could build the same stuff as mods on their own (We already know that the greater part of the addon will basically a big mod afaik).

But more than one year and still nearly no new information about the progress since the last fff makes me sad.

Hope they didn't abandon the game without telling us...

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I think that the Developers did such a good job making the game easily Moddable, that I am not convinced that an expansion is really needed.

I would rather see a complete new version of the game, designed in full 3D. I am sure they could easily outperform a certain other 3D game like this. The one that starts with the 'S' character.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

OK I have decided to create my own expansion fantasy because Wube isn't helping here.

<fantasy>
So, tomorrow the expansion will be released!!

The expansion will largely be based on space exploration, but with massive improvements.

1. Lore will be hugely written. Yes, the universe will be 'generated' (with the help of DNN transformers), but there will be a deep and well written story behind it all. The only way you can get up to a high enough tech level is to find a way to communicate with your home civilization to get information on how to build higher tech level stuff. And you do! Of course you want to communicate with home and friends and family.

But, unknown to you that when you do your home civilization realizes that some very important resources are in this galaxy and sends robots to invade and take over all the planets. And, after getting to a high enough tech level, you learn how to communicate with the biters and realize that these robots are trying to destroy all the biters. These robots also attack you, because everything is an enemy and your home civ really doesn't care about you / doesn't want you to take the resources. You can just destroy both biters and robots, but if you so decide to, you can also get help from some of the biters and even protect them from the robots.

2. Visiting and exploring every planet in the galaxy will have some real value, unlike SE. In fact, you have to in order to truly win the game. You can set up a defense on each and every planet to protect the biters from the invading robots, or you can just try to destroy everything. Some biters will come to your side, but some may refuse and you'll have to decide to either destroy them or find a way to keep from aggravating them.

3. Of course, there are going to be perf issues with 2. There are ways to solve these, but I won't get into them because people get emotional.

4. As I mentioned above, the lore will be hugely written. The biters have an ancient society filled with incredible history. They once nearly destroyed themselves from pollution until they evolved and learned to become part of the natural habitat. There will be new higher level organic tech (learned through exploring all the planets) which you can utilize to be more aligned with biters and their way of existence. Pollution will have much worse consequences if you decide to go that route.

5. There will be new 'big brain' biters which are tactical / strategy geniuses. There will be a lot of new biter types (stolen from rampant), each with tactical abilities to evade / destroy your defenses. In a Rampant type Deathworld mode you will need to use every trick and item available to you to defeat them. The big brain biters will command their biters in ways that will surprise and amaze you. It will be like PvP! The robots, of course, will also be just as varied, dangerous and tacitcally intelligent.

</fantasy>

I have a lot more ideas, but that was pretty satisfying for now. I will say one thing - I don't want the UI or art to change, just want more of it. A lot more! And a lot more mechanics.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Eternal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eternal »

i hope ure wrong ab space exploration, i already have DSP for that :D i just hope expac is in the more advanced buildings and parts that lets u ramp up stuff without having 10s of thousands of more entities to add, like a super advanced alien manufacturing and transportation.

space exploration is not bad, but its late game is a complete chore

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

My biggest complaint is that late game SE is too easy. You should have to explore more planets / utilize asteroid fields more to complete the game.

Some of the puzzles are cute, but the replayability isn't that great. Except for the arcospheres, very inspired.

More entity mechanics would be good, but hard to blame that on SE. Only so much you can do in a mod.

Splitframe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Splitframe »

I love this game and hope we get some news soon.

Juliett78
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by Juliett78 »

Eternal wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:20 pm
glad to hear it...

after all these years of full transparency and dedication to your community... now u leave us in dark for more than 1 year... dont be mad at your last interested players for just asking a hint u know... :|
Hi guys
Your consistent transparency and commitment to the community have been greatly appreciated over the years. However, the sudden lack of communication for over a year has left us in the dark. We, the loyal players, only seek a small hint after all this time. nickname

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:45 am
I think that the Developers did such a good job making the game easily Moddable, that I am not convinced that an expansion is really needed.

I would rather see a complete new version of the game, designed in full 3D. I am sure they could easily outperform a certain other 3D game like this. The one that starts with the 'S' character.
There is a simple reason Factorio is alot better with 2,5D than the "S-game" in 3D: Inserters

I doubt any recently published 3D builder game could beat what you get with this one simple mechanic of chosing your own style of belts connecting to machines. Not even DSP, which gives you more options than lets say Satisfactory or Captain of industry.

I don't know why people are so focused on 3D graphics. Factorio has its unique style.
Compared to the expansion, I wouldn't be so hyped about a possible 3D Factorio, even if its a Wube development.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

3d completely misses the point. People are addicted to crossword puzzles and solitaire for a reason. Gameplay is 100x more important than eye candy, which is just a flash in the pan.

Factorio is forever!

It sounds like they've made a lot of improvements to the modding capability in the expansion. Hopefully this means more goodies for SE :)

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

What are you guys hoping to see in tomorrow's FFF? I want to see these so-called "different military targets" :D

Return to “General discussion”