Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by MeduSalem »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:42 pm
Gabrix wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:18 pm
*** PLEASE, give us a Roadmap Update ***
since it's been 6months since aug2023 when the playerbase estimated the xpac would come a year after that.

I know, i know: those estimates must enrage you when you dont want to talk about it! Hahaha
In fairness, that estimate was based on the dev's own words saying in about a year in an FFF around that time. ;)

Edit: Though, I suppose, I definitely do not envy the dev's position:
Players clamoring for information on when the expansion will be released.
The devs, knowing how hard it is to actually estimate something like this, finally say that it might be roughly another year.
The players: "The devs said it'll be released August 2024!!!1!11!!1"

Heaven forbid something goes awry and they're even a few days late....
That is why I would have written it with an asterisk... saying the classics... "when it's done" or soon™. ^^

Or maybe only an ETA for if they plan something like doing an Early Access again like back in the day (which I kinda doubt that there will be one this time around). Then there would be bugs, maybe some content still being rough and in development, but people can't complain because they opted into it fully knowing it is not the final form.

Anyway no matter the complaints people will buy it eventually regardless, no matter how much they act like drama queens just because it was delayed a few weeks or months. As if crying "but I won't buy it then" ever caused something to happen faster. And not as if people would actually have the stoicism and perseverance to really keep up on their "threats" of not buying it. They are like toddlers throwing themselves on the ground in the supermarket because they cannot have something now. But eventually when they get back to their senses, they will buy it, because they are suckers for more content. Just like I am. ^^

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I'm so much looking forward to new music :D

The Factorio OST never gets old, but I still really hope we will get some new tracks for the space platform areas and also the other planets maybe.

I would not mind getting a sneak peak at a new track in an upcoming FFF ;)

Bizz Keryear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bizz Keryear »

Anyone knows if early early adopters of Factorio (bought it way back in early days) will qualify for a free update? … 2.0 was a paid DLC, right? (Sorry, did forgot if it was stated, at all)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Bizz Keryear wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:54 pm
Anyone knows if early early adopters of Factorio (bought it way back in early days) will qualify for a free update? … 2.0 was a paid DLC, right? (Sorry, did forgot if it was stated, at all)
I don't have any official source, but I would personally be VERY surprised : Wube's stance has always been : the game is sold at its right value, period. Early adopters and backers paid less at that time, because the game was less valuable, being less of a finished product. The price went regularly up along with what Wube considered as the intrinsic value of the game.
When the expansion will be released, there is no reason why its value should be inferior for anyone.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Bizz Keryear wrote:
2.0 is (technically) a free update.
With 2.0 is a paid Expansion pack of (said) similar content size as the main game.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Bizz Keryear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bizz Keryear »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:35 pm
Bizz Keryear wrote:
2.0 is (technically) a free update.
With 2.0 is a paid Expansion pack of (said) similar content size as the main game.
So, Expansion free for early adopters? After all, when I bought it way back, the statement was: "All future updates are free" …

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Bizz Keryear wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:42 am
So, Expansion free for early adopters? After all, when I bought it way back, the statement was: "All future updates are free" …
The expansion is not free, as it is an Expansion. The 2.0 update is free, as it is an Update.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Koub wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:07 pm
Bizz Keryear wrote:
I don't have any official source, but I would personally be VERY surprised : Wube's stance has always been : the game is sold at its right value, period. Early adopters and backers paid less at that time, because the game was less valuable, being less of a finished product. The price went regularly up along with what Wube considered as the intrinsic value of the game.
When the expansion will be released, there is no reason why its value should be inferior for anyone.
Now you made me really curious, how much I paid at that time.
I even managed to check, and turns out, at the time, payment didn't even go to Wube, but to one of the developers, as the billing address.
I paid 35 Eur at that time, which amounts to about 45 Eur in todays money :D
Still, quite happy about that purchase.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

aka13 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:57 pm
Koub wrote:
Bizz Keryear wrote:
I even managed to check, and turns out, at the time, payment didn't even go to Wube, but to one of the developers, as the billing address.
Seeing your forum account, I guess you bought the game roughly at the same period as I did. At that time, the actual game costed 10€. but there were additional tiers (name in the game, and stuff). I guess you took the full package.
If you want proof, this is what the purchase page looked like back in may 2013 :
https://web.archive.org/web/20130524052 ... m/preorder

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I am quite late, almost exactly 2 years ago in 2021 I paid 25 EUR for Factorio 1.1 on Steam. It's probably the most valuable game purchase I ever did, so I will gladly pay the current price of 32 EUR, which is probably also near the price of the expansion.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Koub wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:18 pm
aka13 wrote:
Koub wrote:
Bizz Keryear wrote:
Seeing your forum account, I guess you bought the game roughly at the same period as I did. At that time, the actual game costed 10€. but there were additional tiers (name in the game, and stuff). I guess you took the full package.
If you want proof, this is what the purchase page looked like back in may 2013 :
Oh, I am not questioning your claims on the price. I just went down a trip down memory lane.
I liked the game so much, and it was so unique, that I for the first and so far only time decided to throw as much money as I could at it at that time.
I do miss the secret wiki access over all that time though :D

I don't quite remember though, when you became forum mod, that eludes me. I always remember you being green.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Bizz Keryear
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Bizz Keryear »

aka13 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:54 pm
Koub wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:18 pm
aka13 wrote:
Koub wrote:
Bizz Keryear wrote:
Oh, I am not questioning your claims on the price. I just went down a trip down memory lane.
I liked the game so much, and it was so unique, that I for the first and so far only time decided to throw as much money as I could at it at that time.
I do miss the secret wiki access over all that time though :D

I don't quite remember though, when you became forum mod, that eludes me. I always remember you being green.
Just for memory lane, also:
I bought it in 2015 for 15€ actually. Though clicking through the archive, I've seen that the price in mid 2014 had gone up to 15€ only to be dropped again to 12.5€ later.
Available history:
MAY 18th 2014: last snapshot with 10€
JUN 2nd 2014: 15€
JUL 2nd 2014: 12.5€
APR 30th 2014: last snapshot with 12.€
AUG 14th 2014: 15€
/preorder later redirects /buy.
/buy goes only on JUN 2nd 2014. JUN 14th 2016 Last snapshot with prices, JUN 18th first snapshot where factorio uses a widget, all price history lost from here on out.
Also fun to see how the requirements have gone up over time, and that the early versions had XP support.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Bizz Keryear wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:16 pm
JUN 18th first snapshot where factorio uses a widget, all price history lost from here on out.
I might be able to help with a data point for that.

I purchased it on Steam, April 2017, for $20 USD.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Gabrix
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gabrix »

I'm still craving for that sweet sweet roadmap update. =P

When i mentioned a pre-purchase, i meant as a way to incentivize Wube since i totally trust them to not be "scummy" with the incentive.
I got some extra funds in my Steam Wallet that i'd happily handle them for the cause (The Factory must grow!). =)
By "roadmap update" i never meant for them to give a definitive date, just... tell how things are going, which Phase we're on and what we can expect (such as early access or something).

And my hyyyyyyyyype has not receeded at all - it just grows.
BUT, waiting for one specific FFF is KILLING me: FFF#: SPACESHIPS!
Not "space platforms"... SpaceSHIPS! <3
I don't even wanna consider the idea that the expansion doesn't come with spaceships. It would be a bummer.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

To help (purposely) elevate some heart rates in anticipation here... I can't help but notice the increasing number of bug reports winding up in the "Fixed for 2.0" category vs "Fixed for next release".

Makes me wonder if the devs are getting close enough now that they just want to work on 1 version. :mrgreen:

I'm excited, but really, at the same time, we'll all live if it's still a few months away or more. There's no need to get all demand-y at the devs. ;)

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I guess it just gets inefficient to fix a bug in both versions due to many changes in 2.0. If the two repositories have changed too much, it's simply not possible any more to push the same fix to both code bases.
And as far as I see, many bugs are not just small coding errors any more like some wrong color or some crash if I do this, it's some small logic that's faulty, and many of these were reworked in general on a larger scale.

We have the current bugs for years, so it's no problem to live with them for the next months as well. I rather have 2 bugs fixed in 2.0 than 1 bug fixed in both 1.1 and 2.0. Crashes that might happen to everyone have to be fixed immediately, but some small misbehavior isn't that significant.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tertius wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:46 am
I guess it just gets inefficient to fix a bug in both versions due to many changes in 2.0. If the two repositories have changed too much, it's simply not possible any more to push the same fix to both code bases.
And as far as I see, many bugs are not just small coding errors any more like some wrong color or some crash if I do this, it's some small logic that's faulty, and many of these were reworked in general on a larger scale.
Yes, though until recently, a lot of the ones they were fixing were still being fixed for both versions.
Tertius wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:46 am
We have the current bugs for years, so it's no problem to live with them for the next months as well. I rather have 2 bugs fixed in 2.0 than 1 bug fixed in both 1.1 and 2.0. Crashes that might happen to everyone have to be fixed immediately, but some small misbehavior isn't that significant.
Absolutely. I was just noting it as a possible indicator of it being closer to release than what we may think is all. ;)

TheTom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

2.0 - is there a timeframe for a first playable build?

Post by TheTom »

Not asking for a month, but is it planned to release this before the winter holidays? Summer? 2025?

So I can plan my free / non free time accordingly ;)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Last time an ETA was announced, it was somewhere around August-September this year I believe. And it wasn't a super duper precise estimation : the day the FFF restarted after a long hiatus, was last year, last week of august, and Kovarex wrote "about one year from now" (source). So my personal expectations are hopefully before the end of the year.

eris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New expansion

Post by eris »

With anticipation of the new expansion I wanted us to remember part of the game that worked well for me.

The Music, I have read different opinions but I think it worked well.

Do you think they will change that too?

Return to “General discussion”