Theoretical best SPM * UPS?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Theoretical best SPM * UPS?

Post by blazespinnaker »

Was wondering if someone had already done this .. would save me the effort.

Basically looking for a save / bp which uses a carefully constructed map of resources to allow for easy theoretical best UPS. Clone / Creative to place resource patches allowed. You can use infinity chests if you can make a clear case for their impact / lack of impact on theoretical max SPM.

Note that this number changes depending on underlying CPU, etc, however the save itself wouldn't (mostly) change. There might be some difference depending on CPU architecture, but for the moment let's ignore that as it overly complicates things IMHO.

It's a curious problem. Hopefully someone has already done it. My goal is to try to work back from there and see the best way to construct something with highest possible SPM * UPS.

Note that I think SPM * UPS is the right metric. Eg, 100K SPM per 30 UPS is just as good as 50K per 60 UPS. Wall clock time, you'd get the same SPM - amiright? (Honest question, I don't know how time usage works as well as I wish I did)
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Theoretical best SPM * UPS?

Post by quyxkh »

Check factoriobox.1au.us for the benchmark maps, there's a 30KSPM map there that runs 60UPS on midrange hardware, like 3700X and 8700K tier. The goal I think most people are pursuing is the highest SPM that can sustain 60UPS on reasonable hardware, anything that can't sustain that is likely past the SPM*UPS peak anyway because Factorio's ultimately memory-bandwidth-limited, anything that boosts spm necessarily boosts bandwidth requirements and effective cache is a performance multiplier.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Theoretical best SPM * UPS?

Post by DaveMcW »

There is some constant overhead for running the game, so in theory the best way to maximize SPM * UPS is to build as big as you can before you run out of RAM.

In terms of factory design, there is a local maximum at a few hundred SPM where most belts are full and distances are short. The most efficient maps just spam these 300 SPM factories over and over.

Return to “General discussion”