Space Age general Questions

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ofca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Space Age general Questions

Post by ofca »

Razorlance wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:45 am
ofca wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:36 am
Razorlance wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:24 am
edit: I bought it here https://www.factorio.com/buy-space-age but I don't see any indication in the game or on my Factorio website profile that I have the DLC?
if you bought it there, then you probably bought it via humblebundle. Check your emails and/or your humblebundle profile page, look for a key in format xxxx-xxxx-xxxx, then use this key on https://factorio.com/profile - "input upgrade code". GLHF.
Yeah your correct, I did all that still no sign of the DLC, and can't see anywhere to verify I've bought it.

I've fired off an email to support to see if they can tell me what's happened.

edit: Just tried to use the code again in case it was a timing issue with the update to 2.0 but It says code has already been used.
In that case it's time to visit https://factorio.com/support/help and then contact the e-mail mentioned there. Don't forget to include all the details, e-mails, e-mail addresses and relevant screenshots, so you can start playing ASAP.

bbutle01
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bbutle01 »

I don't own the original game, played it on a friend's computer. I've been waiting for this to be released.
So I'm ready to buy them both, but not at the same time. $70 is a lot for a video game for me. So I was going to buy the base game and then play it for a few weeks and get ready to launch to space and then buy the DLC.

But now I'm reading that I won't get elevated rail, and possibly some other QoL features. Is there any way to make this work without coughing up $70 now?

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Razorlance wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:45 am
Yeah your correct, I did all that still no sign of the DLC, and can't see anywhere to verify I've bought it.

I've fired off an email to support to see if they can tell me what's happened.

edit: Just tried to use the code again in case it was a timing issue with the update to 2.0 but It says code has already been used.
All this did take me a few minutes to figure out, so just to confirm, when you go to https://factorio.com/download/ you don't see a Space Age option?
bbutle01 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:21 pm
I don't own the original game, played it on a friend's computer. I've been waiting for this to be released.
So I'm ready to buy them both, but not at the same time. $70 is a lot for a video game for me. So I was going to buy the base game and then play it for a few weeks and get ready to launch to space and then buy the DLC.

But now I'm reading that I won't get elevated rail, and possibly some other QoL features. Is there any way to make this work without coughing up $70 now?
Elevated rails are pretty much the only SA-exclusive thing that could be called QoL (and it's a stretch IMO). You still get the other rail improvements (smaller S-bends and half-diagonals), and a lot of other little enhancements in Factorio 2.0. I don't think you'll regret it if you just buy the base game and then think about getting the DLC later, but of course that's just my opinion.

galexova
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by galexova »

Should I start a new game from the start, or should I continue my old save?

I only ask because it says "continues the player's journey after launching rockets into space."

Well, I already put like 150 hours into this game and successfully launched a rocket.

Should I start at that save point?

Or is there a reason to start over fresh?

Thanks guys :D

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

galexova wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:26 am
Should I start a new game from the start, or should I continue my old save?

I only ask because it says "continues the player's journey after launching rockets into space."

Well, I already put like 150 hours into this game and successfully launched a rocket.

Should I start at that save point?

Or is there a reason to start over fresh?

Thanks guys :D

starting fresh is recommended, especially for a 1.1 save, e.g. all the rails and fluids changes are likely to break your existing base
bringing the oops to devops

Hiekie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hiekie »

Already played some hours and have a solid basic setup going again. Next is red circuit boards and the oil setups.

But.. i was actually a little shocked that i could not run any older modded games.
All mods in my mod list (Like industrial Revolution 3) are completely not working anymore and makes the game crash on loading, asking to disable the listed mods.

Is this intended behavior? almost no mods are available now to play? will there be some kind of compatibility coming in to the game to run those mods again ?

bbutle01
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bbutle01 »

Hiekie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:52 am
Already played some hours and have a solid basic setup going again. Next is red circuit boards and the oil setups.

But.. i was actually a little shocked that i could not run any older modded games.
All mods in my mod list (Like industrial Revolution 3) are completely not working anymore and makes the game crash on loading, asking to disable the listed mods.

Is this intended behavior? almost no mods are available now to play? will there be some kind of compatibility coming in to the game to run those mods again ?
I'm not going to speak for WUBE, but breaking mods on highly updated games is pretty common. It's hard enough for them to make new code work with vanilla saved games, trying to make it work with thousands of mods that they had no part in creating would be near impossible. Even minor code updates breaks things like Terraria and Minecraft, also highly modded games.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Hiekie wrote:
You can always redownload 1.1 to play them, but other than that the compatibility will have to be on the other side, the mods will have to be updated to work with 2.0. A decent number already have been, and more will come. Industrial Revolution 3, sadly, will not be one of them according to its author. So the only option there is to keep playing 1.1. You can have multiple versions installed at once though, which makes this fairly painless. (On Windows, the easiest way is to use the .zip downloads on this website.)

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

Hiekie wrote:

Going to agree with the others. Breaking mods is common with big game updates across every game I can think of. It will have to be the mod authors that update their mods to work with 2.0. For many mods that will be as simple as changing 1.1 to 2.0 in one of the files. For some mods it will be a huge task. You can try this for yourself on your downloaded mods (this will not work for every mod, suggest making a backup too):
1. Go to your local Factorio mods folder.
2. Extract a mod (in windows explorer that's usually right-click and extract all).
3. Go into the folder and open the

Code: Select all

info.json
file with a text editor (eg. notepad, notepad++, vscode)
4. Change

"factorio_version": "1.1"
to

"factorio_version": "2.0"
5. Save changes
6. Delete/move the original mod zip (so you have the folder and not the zip)
7. Start Factorio

For many mods this may be enough to get them to work. For many mods you may get errors, in which case you need to wait for the mod author or someone else to update it for 2.0. For some mods it may appear to work but behave weirldly, hopefully this is rare and most mods either work or show an error.

PhatzDomino
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PhatzDomino »

So, just started a fresh vanilla Space Age game. I like to play at least one play through vanilla. I know I had all mods off before installing the DLC. But just noticed "Alien Biomes" was running in my save. This may sound like a silly question, but kinda makes sense. Is it required?

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

PhatzDomino wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:31 pm
So, just started a fresh vanilla Space Age game. I like to play at least one play through vanilla. I know I had all mods off before installing the DLC. But just noticed "Alien Biomes" was running in my save. This may sound like a silly question, but kinda makes sense. Is it required?
No. Must have enabled it by accident somehow. The only mods Space Age requires are the two that come with it, Quality and Elevated Rails. (Not counting "Base mod", of course.)

Hiekie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hiekie »

PhatzDomino wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:31 pm
No, it is not required but the first thing i enabled again was alien biomes. I just like the color and the lot of different terrain types and that is the only thing this mod does (as far as i know)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

shopt wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 5:10 pm
[...]
6. Delete/move the original mod zip (so you have the folder and not the zip)
[...]
Unless this behaviour has changed in 2.0, you don't even need to do that, the folder takes priority.

(Also, IIRC, a higher mod version still takes priority over the folder, so when the modder updates it, you won't need to delete the folder to get back to the "official branch" either !)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

In the future, will it be possible to download old versions of Space Age, like you can the base game? (edit: the answer is yes)

Right now there's no reason to, but suppose someone makes an awesome mod for space age that adds the planet Bwuhuo, but then 2.1 comes out and it's not compatible, it may or may not be updated eventually, but in any case I don't want to wait. I would need Space Age 2.0.x to play it, right? Will I be able to get that?
Last edited by ManaUser on Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Even in the base game you can't do that for just any version, for instance I've been looking for a while for the 0.17 experimental version with the old new tutorial, the second part of which was much harder for experienced players than beginners (so the version before that was "fixed").

EDIT : Not that they should, and I think all the latest major version are available for download ?
(EDIT 2 : And I doubt anything will change for Space Age... otOH maybe being a collection of mods changes things here ??)
Just to mean that if there is any very specific version you would like to play later, be sure to back it up !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

So... disregard what I said. Either I missed it before or this just changed. You can indeed download old versions of Space Age!

Just go to "Download Older Releases", select a post-2.0 version and both Space Age and regular downloads appear. (Provided you bought Space Age, obviously.) Currently there are only two "old" versions of Space Age, and little if any reason to use them, but it's good to know this will be available for later.

Return to “General discussion”