Start fresh, or use old save?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
galexova
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Start fresh, or use old save?

Post by galexova »

Should I start a new game from the start, or should I continue my old save?

I only ask because it says "continues the player's journey after launching rockets into space" on the marketing material for Space Age.

Well, I already put like 150 hours into this game and successfully launched a rocket.

Should I start at that save point?

Or is there a reason to start over fresh?

I really don't mind starting over fresh. In fact now that I think about it I'm leaning towards starting fresh, just because that last save point is from almost a year ago. It wouldn't feel very satisfying launching into space when I no longer feel connected to the struggles. Maybe it would be nice to start over fresh and try some new strategies this time :D

What are you guys gonna do?

Thanks guys :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Start fresh, or use old save?

Post by Koub »

Start fresh. Enough things have changed to wan to start fresh.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Start fresh. You launched a rocket in 1.1, so you achieved "I won the game". This map is in some kind of success and "finished" state.
Space Age is the same Factorio, but with very much added stuff and technologies got moved around in the tech tree, so some stuff is researched earlier, and some stuff later, with new stuff added in between. It's balanced differently. You get a map with many technology holes, if you continue a 1.1 map. My recommendation: do everything from scratch and have fun by starting a new experience instead of fixing these holes.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

FYI you start to really notice changes around the late green science.

For instance : Rail geometry has been reworked, you can change from one lane to the next one now, rather than need 3 lanes worth of space in between !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

galexova
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by galexova »

Ok thanks for the advice guys! I'll start fresh! :D

galexova
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by galexova »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:16 am

For instance : Rail geometry has been reworked, you can change from one lane to the next one now, rather than need 3 lanes worth of space in between !
What do you mean rail geometry? Change from one lane to the next...I'm confused. Are you talking about if two rail lines are right next to each other? You don't need to put space for a switch?

tbh I can't exactly remember how rail switching worked anyway haha. I heard you can have 2 level trains though, right? That sounds cool

galexova
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by galexova »

Wait, side question: Is it possible to reset achievements? I had decided to start fresh, but then I just wanted to pop in real quick to visit my last save game just to remember what it took to launch the rocket, and I instantly unlocked a bunch of achievements lmao.

I kinda wish I hadn't looked in, I didn't realize they added so many since I last played. But now I won't get to see any unlock during my new playthrough :( lol

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think there is an option for that in the settings. Can't tell you where exactly though, I'm answering from memory.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

You can also do it by deleting (or renaming) achievements.dat and/or achievements-modded.dat.

----
galexova wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:44 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:16 am

What do you mean rail geometry? Change from one lane to the next...I'm confused. Are you talking about if two rail lines are right next to each other? You don't need to put space for a switch?

tbh I can't exactly remember how rail switching worked anyway haha. I heard you can have 2 level trains though, right? That sounds cool
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-377
1.1 :
2.0 :
(and more, see the FFF)
EDIT : Not sure what's up with images not working here ?? Anyway, see FFF.

Multi-level trains are specific to the expansion pack, but this is for everyone (that updated).
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

StoneLegion
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by StoneLegion »

I. playing 1.0 as things are a bit tight in RL. But I will be starting 100% fresh for Space Age for sure. I want to play slow, take my time. Treat it like a old school MMO where hitting the max level feels like it's impossible haha. That is honestly how I always enjoyed Factorio.

Return to “General discussion”