"Stable" release

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

"Stable" release

Post by silman »

So i have been playing on 0.9.8 since i started about a month ago but have been avidly following news and updates. I see their posts about the new 0.10.x releases and how they state they are "stable" but when i go to the download page they are always under "experimental" which makes me not want to download them. So are they stable or not? And how do i install a new release while preserving my old saves? Do i have to uninstall the old version and then install the new one and copy my saves folder over? or will the new one install on top of the old one?

When will the automatic updater be up and running? And how exactly do i know which releases i should install even if they are under the "experimental" tab in download?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: "Stable" release

Post by FishSandwich »

Devs here are awesome, their experimental releases are usually pretty stable, I've been running 0.10 since it came out and apart from 2 botched updates, I've not had any crashes or serious problems, and even then they quickly got a hotfix out for it.

If you use the installer it'll uninstall your older version but will preserve your save, settings etc. If you use the automatic updater that'll do the same. The automatic installer works, if you go into options -> other, and enable experimental updates you'll get it. If not, just use the installer from the website.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

silman wrote:I see their posts about the new 0.10.x releases and how they state they are "stable" but when i go to the download page they are always under "experimental"
They are stable candidate, which means we always hope they get stable, but people always help us find another bugs. the 0.10.11 is planned on monday, and if no serious bugs are found within few days it might be marked as stable.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

Thanks for the information!

and i agree, the devs are awesome!

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I've played games where "Experimental" releases were actually buggy, but the last 10.x branch was pretty stable since they focused on bugfixes.

Return to “General discussion”