Map Download Speed

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
morcup
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Map Download Speed

Post by morcup »

So my map download speed seems to be capped out around 1MBps ( http://prnt.sc/ef45aq ) , even though my internet connection shows a download speed of around 15mbps ( http://prnt.sc/ef43o0 ) . Does this seem right to you guys, or is there a bottleneck somewhere?

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve my download speed?
Check out my server.
Server thread at: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=35528

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Map Download Speed

Post by GodricSeer »

If you are connected to a friend (rather than a rented server), they likely only have 1 Mbps upload speed, which is the bottleneck.

morcup
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by morcup »

I've had this limit connecting to both friends and servers where other people are downloading much more quickly. Don't know the exact numbers they are getting, but they're much faster than mine.
Check out my server.

MrGoodbits
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrGoodbits »

This is probably a bytes versus bits issue. 1 mega byte per second (MBps) is about 10 mega bits per second (mbps)
So, with latency and overhead, I would say getting what Factorio reports as 1MBps is not too bad for a 15mbps Internet service.

If you are on a windows computer, open your task manager and monitor your network speeds there. I believe it reports in mbps and you will see it is around 10 during your download.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

MrGoodbits wrote:This is probably a bytes versus bits issue. 1 mega byte per second (MBps) is about 10 mega bits per second (mbps)
So, with latency and overhead, I would say getting what Factorio reports as 1MBps is not too bad for a 15mbps Internet service.
You are right, from the Factorio screenshot the download rate is 870 kb/s, which translates to around 7 Mbit.

Another reason could be the router. Factorio uses UDP to transfer the map and some routers are not really optimized for large numbers of UDP packets. I used to get around ~250 kb/s and then changed the router (unrelated to Factorio), with the new router I get 400 - 500 kb/s which is almost my max bandwidth.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

morcup
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by morcup »

I'm on Linux, but there is an equivalent thing to the task manager, and it shows around the same network usage as the download..

Perhaps it is the router, that would seem to make sense.

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys.
Check out my server.

Return to “General discussion”