Inserters and 90°

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
TouchTheSky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Inserters and 90°

Post by TouchTheSky »

Hello guys why cant inserters not insert in a 90° degree?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Inserters and 90°

Post by Koub »

It's a design choice. You have to make choices about when it's enough, and when it's too much :
Why 90° and not 45 ? Why 45° and not long, short, smart, fast inserters with 45° right and left increments ? There's not much that can't be done with 180° inserters, except maybe the most compact contraptions, in a game where space is the cheapest thing.

If you'd like more flexible inserters, there are lots of mods that can provide them to you. I'd say this one is the most flexible (but there are others).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

TouchTheSky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TouchTheSky »

Koub wrote:It's a design choice. You have to make choices about when it's enough, and when it's too much :
Why 90° and not 45 ? Why 45° and not long, short, smart, fast inserters with 45° right and left increments ? There's not much that can't be done with 180° inserters, except maybe the most compact contraptions, in a game where space is the cheapest thing.

If you'd like more flexible inserters, there are lots of mods that can provide them to you. I'd say this one is the most flexible (but there are others).
Wow thank you. I didnt know about the mods. Thanks for showing me. I never thought about 45 degree. But a 90 degree would be alot helpfull ingame. But thank you for your answer

KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KatherineOfSky »

As Koub said, there really isn't much that can't be done with 180' inserters. All you need is to leave plenty of space around assembly units. Don't crowd things.

There's also a visual recognition that comes from having inserters all the same configuration -- in HUGE factories, you can tell at a glance if an inserter is pointed the correct way. I've never found 90' inserters to be necessary.
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

OrbitalNZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by OrbitalNZ »

I thought about this and the first problem which occurred to me was would it only rotate in one direction? or would you have to code a way to set clockwise/anticlockwise options in a unit.

Rhym
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rhym »

I wish they would add express inserters with two hands which spin in a circle. While one hand could place an item the other hand could pick up the next item. :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

This does actually make a lot of sense : DDR inserters :). However, I'd advise you not to hijack this topic, and create a separate suggestion for that.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Rhym
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rhym »

Alrighty then, I'm gonna do so :)

Return to “General discussion”