Any idea of the size of higher tier mining stuff?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Any idea of the size of higher tier mining stuff?

Post by Xarovin »

I've made one world, and now with knowing what's coming up and being near the endgame stage (researched the rocket and hit the bottleneck of having to build a lot of railways for a steady flow of iron), I can't really be bothered continuing and would like to start a new world with a similar design, but to make use of the new things, mainly the higher tier mining and resource overhaul (and I'd prefer not using mods, since a save I downloaded was entirely broken as it used so many outdated mods).

I'll just have to wait 2 months before starting for the resource overhaul, but it's a bit annoying that the higher tier mining stuff has been postponed until after that. If any of the devs have a plan of how the ore refining will work and its size (or what it'll likely be, I'm guessing either like a normal or electric furnace in both size and loading/unloading), I can plan out that section before the furnaces and I'll be happy having an empty space until the update, I just don't want to plan it out and end up with something horribly wrong haha.

Even better, if it ends up being coded and just not designed, just make them accessible as placeholders through the console commands ;)

Edit: By higher tier mining, I mean the things proposed that would mine a lot more unrefined ore, but would then require refining before smelting
Last edited by Xarovin on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Any idea of the size of higher tier mining stuff?

Post by Lee_newsum »

well 2 months for 0.13.0 + 3 to 6+ months for 0.14.0 less you plan to play 200h or more what is the pint?

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

I know you said you don't want to use mods and most are broken if you just Google search. I've started Google searching like "factorio .12.x .......... mod" which seems to work better.
I know the 5dim mods work and they have higher tier of all vanilla stuff. So if you like the vanilla version but want higher tier stuff look that mod up. I kinda prefer Yuoki mods.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You have bob's set and you can pick only mining part of it.

There is also DyTech but that one is a bit of dissaray recently so I'm not sure if it's fully working.

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Lee_newsum wrote:well 2 months for 0.13.0 + 3 to 6+ months for 0.14.0 less you plan to play 200h or more what is the pint?
I'm more of the sort of person who likes to work on a single awesome world instead of lots of generic ones. I suppose a good way to describe it is in mmo terms, where I like leveling my first character, but then I get bored of the game once I hit max level (so the longer it takes, the better), whereas a lot of people enjoy it more as max level, so they'll max out many characters each with a different build to see which fares best at end game stuff.

As to bobs mods, I just looked at the mining, do the higher tier mining drills provide more resources or just work faster? There isn't much info on them so I'm just going by the gifs. The speed isn't a problem for me, it's the resources being depleted too fast :P

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

I'm the same way. I like to have one game that lasts forever constantly growing and evolving. I don't use mods either since it's impossible to guarantee that mods will always be updated with *every* version of the game and be worked on for years. When a mod stops being updated, or if the developer takes a break / skips a version, then most of the time the save is lost along with the hundreds of hours spent on it.

As long as the game is being developed, there will *always* be new stuff getting added. You want to wait until 0.14.0, but then you'll find out about new stuff planned for 0.16.0 and wait again, but then some new stuff will be coming 0.17.0, etc. You'll be waiting until the game is 100% completed in the developer's eyes, which could be years. So my suggestion would just be to keep playing as you normally do. Don't worry about new stuff until it comes. When it comes, then redesigning your factory around the new stuff is a task to complete. You prefer the journey to max level more then being at max level anyway, right?

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

Yeah that is a problem I thought of haha, but currently, the main problem is getting enough resources, the other features being added/planned seem more like bonuses to the game rather than a much needed fix, and wouldn't be too hard to add to the base without any major redesigns :)

I don't mind not having it at the moment, but I definitely would like to plan out the ore refinery before starting a new game so I can add it without much trouble once it's ready

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

If you have problems with resources running out thet try RSO and see if it's better there.

It has distance scaling on resource amounts - further out gives you more ore in deposit. If you find that it's still not enough it's easy to change base amounts or scaling factors.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Could also use a console command to add larger ore patches and make them far away to add to the challenge.
I did that since I quickly tired of having to spend half my play time monitoring, searching for, and moving mines.
Added some ore fields far away from my factory and ran trains to bring the ore back.

just copy/paste this into the console
replace 'stone' with 'iron-ore', 'copper-ore' or 'crude-oil' for other resource types
for crude oil, set the x and y to 0 to get a single tile to place a drill on, qty wont matter for it either.

Code: Select all

/c local surface = game.local_player.surface;
for y=-5,5 do
 for x=-5,5 do
  surface.create_entity({name="stone", amount=75000, position={game.local_player.position.x+x, game.local_player.position.y+y}})
 end
end
The above would create an 11x11 square of stone with 75000 per tile offering a total of 9,075,000 stone that could be mined before running dry.

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

orzelek wrote:If you have problems with resources running out thet try RSO and see if it's better there.
I did hear about that, but by the time I'd got to that problem I'd already read the announcement they were doing it themselves, so I'll wait for the official way :)

I hate using console commands, but as I'm also tired of building tracks for now and want to focus on the second modular base, I might have to do that over one of my mines until the 1.14 update haha, thanks :P
Crude oil is not a problem as it technically doesn't run out, so I don't mind branching out for that if I'm running low

Return to “General discussion”