Experiences with the "Factorio Beginners Guide"

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gazelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Experiences with the "Factorio Beginners Guide"

Post by Gazelle »

I read that there is already a "Factorio Beginners Guide" which costs around 4 dollars. If you don't know this guide, then see: http://www.factorioguide.com

I am looking for your experiences with this guide.

-Does it go through it's topics in much detail or is it shallow?
-Do you advise it for a beginner or are there better sources to use for a beginner?
-Does it only explain the game concepts or does it also look at how you can best design/set up your basis/production lines?

I am a beginner and mainly looked at let's play's/tutorials and played the in game tutorial. I know the very basics, but not all of the basics yet. I can set up production lines, perform research, and I am about to finish the 'green science' automated production line. (but did not play with oil, trains, etc.) Will this guide be really worth it for me to buy it?

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Experiences with the "Factorio Beginners Guide"

Post by Xterminator »

Hiya.I am not here to give an opinion on the guide because it would probably be biased, but I will try to give some more info and answer your questions the best I can. When I was writing the guide I wanted to try and find a good balance that gave details on as much as possible but at the same time didn't take multiple pages just to explain one little concept or item.

As for your second question, I can't really give a direct answer because again, it would probably be biased. I can say however, that my intention and target audience when writing it is for beginners. There is the Wiki that is of course free but lot of the info on there is outdated or incorrect. As you have seen, there are also tutorial videos on most subjects but it just depends how much time you want to spend searching for it. There are of course many links within the guide to videos and other sources as well.

For your third question... I think it does a bit of both. If you haven't already, you can check out the Table of Contents for the guide on the website home page to get an idea of the main topics it goes over. Now within each of those topics there are details provided and usually some examples of how you can set up whatever is being talked about. I tried to avoid actually telling people how they should specifically set something up because it isn't my place to tell someone exactly how to build their factory, and there are of course many different ways to do it that can all work.

Based on the experience you said you have so far I would say you probably know the info that is covered in the first couple sections of the guide. There is probably a good amount of stuff or little tricks & details that are covered in the guide that you might not know yet.
Of course it's your decision to get it or not, I'm not going to advice you either way. I hope the info I provided helps though. :) Also, if you have further questions about specifics or want to see some more sample pages etc, feel free to PM here!
Image Image Image

Gazelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Experiences with the "Factorio Beginners Guide"

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks a lot Xterminator, that really gives me a better view on the content.

Return to “General discussion”