Recently started and a few thoughts

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Chimaera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Recently started and a few thoughts

Post by Chimaera »

Hi all

In game terms im just about onto the second level with the train tracks and nearing the end i think

God it drives me insane when you think you have a good setup then you need different things and you have to mess up your design to get conveyors to them. So more work for me to get better setups...

Just to say its really good and i'm impressed so far and it's keeping me into the night, which a good game should.

Couple of bits i thought i would mention

The autosave is a brute, im on a I7 4670K/8GB/AMD 6970 rig and it really halts play when it hits, like locks the screen kind of halt and its immersion breaking.
Normally an Autosave is more discrete. Another thought the info window it puts up can it not be at the bottom of the screen instead of right where i'm working? This would help when your driving as well.

And is there any thoughts on single wide conveyors? it would be great to channel a smaller conveyor to feed coal to a machine from a bigger one?

Im a Software Developer and IT Tech in real life and this game will prob make me late for work quite soon :)

Keep up the good work guys

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Recently started and a few thoughts

Post by Xterminator »

It's always good to see new players give their thoughts and experiences with the game.:) So first of all, welcome to the forum and Factorio community!

Now on to what you have mentioned.
I definitely understand it can be frustrating when you have to redo a setup or part of your factory for some reason. However once you get better at the game and know what all needs to be done ahead of time, I try not you will not run into this problem as much. Also, I think a lot of enjoyment can be had from upgrading your designs to make them bigger and better. :)

As for the auto save, I do agree it is a bit obtrusive. One thought ng to note if you didn't know this already is that you can change the interval at which it saves. So like every 2 minutes or 10 minutes or 1 hour, etc...

When you say single wide do you mean just one sided? Because this can already be achieved by side loading - where you have one belt load onto the side of another so the resource only goes on one side. I would provide a picture but I'm not on my PC at the moment. As for the actual size, Belts are already only one tile big and make them like half a tile would probably mess up a ton of other stuff. But I do think you can achieve what you want by side loading.

Anyway, glad your enjoying the game and I hope I helped clarify a few things. :)
Image Image Image

Chimaera
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Chimaera »

Xterminator wrote:It's always good to see new players give their thoughts and experiences with the game.:) So first of all, welcome to the forum and Factorio community!

Now on to what you have mentioned.
I definitely understand it can be frustrating when you have to redo a setup or part of your factory for some reason. However once you get better at the game and know what all needs to be done ahead of time, I try not you will not run into this problem as much. Also, I think a lot of enjoyment can be had from upgrading your designs to make them bigger and better. :)

As for the auto save, I do agree it is a bit obtrusive. One thought ng to note if you didn't know this already is that you can change the interval at which it saves. So like every 2 minutes or 10 minutes or 1 hour, etc...

When you say single wide do you mean just one sided? Because this can already be achieved by side loading - where you have one belt load onto the side of another so the resource only goes on one side. I would provide a picture but I'm not on my PC at the moment. As for the actual size, Belts are already only one tile big and make them like half a tile would probably mess up a ton of other stuff. But I do think you can achieve what you want by side loading.

Anyway, glad your enjoying the game and I hope I helped clarify a few things. :)
1: Dont worry the personal frustration is necessary to make you build better ;)

2: I will have a look at the interval thx

3: No i actually meant a belt half the width of the normal one, so a single item belt if you will
It would be mainly used for offshoots from the main network for coal etc as a 2 wide is often wasted in the early stages
I suppose it could be all you have early on to make it more interesting, it would also give the ability for 3 wide conveyors etc

It was just a thought

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Xterminator wrote: I definitely understand it can be frustrating when you have to redo a setup or part of your factory for some reason. However once you get better at the game and know what all needs to be done ahead of time, I try not you will not run into this problem as much. Also, I think a lot of enjoyment can be had from upgrading your designs to make them bigger and better. :)
One you get to Construction Robots and (Personal) RoboPorts, tearing down all the buildings in a large area, to clear it for a re-build, is pretty effortless.

Return to “General discussion”