Fluid Mechanics Still Broken, 6 Years Later?

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: The fluid mechanics in Factorio are a mess, and you know it.

Post by mmmPI »

MeduSalem wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:14 pm
Groundhog day. ^^
The last thread about it which Koub closed only a while ago.
Ah yes ! No new argument in sight x).
functional wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 3:37 pm
So, I'm sorry, but this isn't worthwhile comment to even respond to with any depth.
Yeah like this all thread x)

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

functional wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 10:27 am
Consider for example standard pipes and underground pipes.
[...]
long distance itself is the problem.
I noticed the distance difference between single pipes and underground pipes, the instant transfer of fluid from one underground piece to the next, and the throughput being dependent on pipe length on my first playthrough.
I consulted the throughput-distance map in the wiki and never thought much more of it except that this is a simple but acceptable way the engine implements this very complex real world physics. Ever since I count pipe pieces, see which maximum throughput is possible, and adjust my designs accordingly.

May be that's not exactly how real world pressure works, but I accept it's a not too bad simplification for Factorio's simulation. Actually, there's no pressure in Factorio, just the amount of fluid in any given fluid box, and the fluid boxes try to even out over all connected fluid boxes. It works for my factory. I rather get new and additional interesting game mechanics to play with than the existing fluid mechanics replaced with one that generally works similar to the old but is slightly more realistic. I accept the fact that's very difficult (may be impossible) to come up with a more realistic implementation that doesn't come with a performance penalty.

functional
Inserter
Inserter

Post by functional »

Tertius wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 4:52 pm
May be that's not exactly how real world pressure works, but I accept it's a not too bad simplification for Factorio's simulation. Actually, there's no pressure in Factorio, just the amount of fluid in any given fluid box, and the fluid boxes try to even out over all connected fluid boxes. It works for my factory. I rather get new and additional interesting game mechanics to play with than the existing fluid mechanics replaced with one that generally works similar to the old but is slightly more realistic. I accept the fact that's very difficult (may be impossible) to come up with a more realistic implementation that doesn't come with a performance penalty.
The problem I have is not per se with the realism as that's incidental. Like, a lot of our intuition isn't really realistic, but game mechanics foregoing intuition for the sake of realism isn't necessarily a good thing. Here, the common intuition just happens to overlap with what is realistic and Factorio goes against that with its mechanics of how it propagates fluids.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fluid Mechanics Still Broken, 6 Years Later?

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into the slightly older locked thread about the same subject.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Fluid Mechanics Still Broken, 6 Years Later?

Post by Koub »

Initially in General discssion
[Koub] Implemented in 2.0 yay \o/ :
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-416
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Implemented in 2.0”