Video Driver bug: Wake from suspend requires reload of sprites. (with workaround)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
jgilmore42
Inserter
Inserter

Video Driver bug: Wake from suspend requires reload of sprites. (with workaround)

Post by jgilmore42 »

This is a bug in the NVIDIA linux driver, but I'd appreciate your putting a bug in their ear about it. Let'em know that Yes, people actually DO play games on linux, and they need to fix their shit.

On wake from suspend-to-ram, the screen in blue. Reloading sprites (via either closing the game and restarting, or changing mods) fixes it. HOWEVER! The pic for the save game will maintain the funky look. Assuming you save after resuming from suspend, anyway.

Log, with precise driver version number, is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99546

And here's the relevant line, driver version is 440.82
0.202 Initialised OpenGL:[0] GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2; driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 440.82

(might as well report this longstanding issue, despite a relatively simple workaround, as long as I'm logged into the forum...)

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Video Driver bug: Wake from suspend requires reload of sprites. (with workaround)

Post by posila »

I don't care about wake from supsend corrupting game's runtime resources, because as far as I know suspend should be completely transparent to applications and in fact I believe we can't detect it happened (maybe we can on Linux)

Anyhow ... it is possible it'll work if you disable GPU accelerated compression of sprite atlases: in the main menu, Ctrl + Alt + click on Settings, then go to "The rest", find gpu-accelerated-compression and gpu-accelerated-mipmap-compression and disable them, then restart the game. Startup of the game will be sligtly slower, but that is probably good tradeoff, if the game survives OS suspend and you just don't need to close the game.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Video Driver bug: Wake from suspend requires reload of sprites. (with workaround)

Post by ptx0 »

jgilmore42 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:28 pm
This is a bug in the NVIDIA linux driver, but I'd appreciate your putting a bug in their ear about it. Let'em know that Yes, people actually DO play games on linux, and they need to fix their shit.

On wake from suspend-to-ram, the screen in blue. Reloading sprites (via either closing the game and restarting, or changing mods) fixes it. HOWEVER! The pic for the save game will maintain the funky look. Assuming you save after resuming from suspend, anyway.

Log, with precise driver version number, is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99546

And here's the relevant line, driver version is 440.82
0.202 Initialised OpenGL:[0] GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2; driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 440.82

(might as well report this longstanding issue, despite a relatively simple workaround, as long as I'm logged into the forum...)
honestly the nvidia linux driver is total trash and they have fewer and fewer sysctls they can plug into in the linux kernel since there's more GPL-only symbol export restrictions

jgilmore42
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgilmore42 »

ptx0 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:20 pm
honestly the nvidia linux driver is total trash and they have fewer and fewer sysctls they can plug into in the linux kernel since there's more GPL-only symbol export restrictions
Those export restrictions only apply to people who don't compile their own stuff. "apache" was originally a set of patches to a pre-existing server that was open source but closed license, for instance. With the decision made by the kernel devs to NOT go to GPLv3, what's the point of licensing restrictions on any part of hooking into the kernel? Save to make life difficult for users, of course.

Also I'm curious wtf driver you think I should use. No entirely open source solution comes within spitting distance of the performance or features of the nvidia drives, last I checked.

Return to “Technical Help”