GLIBC 2.23 runs the game but won't install mods?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
TheSilas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

GLIBC 2.23 runs the game but won't install mods?

Post by TheSilas »

Hello,

I've recently setup a headless server on an old Dell I had lying around and installed Ubuntu 16.04. This came with GLIBC 2.23-0 installed and headless factorio runs perfectly fine on it.

I am trying to use the Factorio mods manager here (https://github.com/Tantrisse/Factorio-mods-manager), but it needs to point to a GLIBC directory to work. I found the glibc location in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

I also tried to install GLIBC 2.18, but I'm running into issues. It may be that the instructions are written for CentOS and I'm using ubuntu. I'm still new to linux, so I'm not familiar with the commands and equivalents.

Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: GLIBC 2.23 runs the game but won't install mods?

Post by ptx0 »

oof, that's a 5 year old distro. it's EOL. you should use latest LTS, Ubuntu 20.04.

edit: I just realised you might not know what this means, my bad - it's basically like you installed Windows XP and are having issues installing the latest .NET framework. I don't know if that's a good metaphor for you, but it's pretty close to reality here. EOL means the version doesn't receive updates and is binary incompatible with newly released software.

LTS means it's Long Term Support, you can safely install LTS versions of a distribution and expect compatibility for a reasonable period of time - 2-5 years. (unless it's CentOS, they recently pulled the rug out from everyone and killed it off, so don't use it anymore)

TheSilas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheSilas »

Hmmm. I used an older version because I was worried the older hardware would be too slow for the newer OS or the newer OS wouldn't support it. It's an old Pentium D from 2008 with 4 gbs DDR2 ram. Think I'll have much issues getting it to work?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

TheSilas wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 am
Hmmm. I used an older version because I was worried the older hardware would be too slow for the newer OS or the newer OS wouldn't support it. It's an old Pentium D from 2008 with 4 gbs DDR2 ram. Think I'll have much issues getting it to work?
things generally only get better over time for older hardware in newer kernels ;)

16.x was pretty recent and not much has changed in that time other than GLIBC ABI and other obvious stuff. i mean, a ton has changed, but not much fundamentals.

TheSilas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheSilas »

Ah it looks like I meet the requirements https://ubuntu.com/server/docs#system-requirements of the server edition. I'll give that a shot and see if that helps.

tmzasz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tmzasz »

TheSilas wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:03 am
Hello,

I've recently setup a headless server on an old Dell I had lying around and installed Ubuntu 16.04. This came with GLIBC 2.23-0 installed and headless factorio runs perfectly fine on it.

I am trying to use the Factorio mods manager here (https://github.com/Tantrisse/Factorio-mods-manager), but it needs to point to a GLIBC directory to work. I found the glibc location in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

I also tried to install GLIBC 2.18, but I'm running into issues. It may be that the instructions are written for CentOS and I'm using ubuntu. I'm still new to linux, so I'm not familiar with the commands and equivalents.

Any pointers would be helpful. Thanks!
so with that try passing "" for both the glib options ( those options are for systems with older than glibc 2.18 )

TheSilas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheSilas »

Alright, I got Ubuntu 20.04 server installed now and I'm back to the same place I was before.
so with that try passing "" for both the glib options ( those options are for systems with older than glibc 2.18 )
I just tried that and I get this error message when I try to install a mod:

Code: Select all

user@server:/opt/Factorio-mods-manager$ factorio mod install Squeak%20Through
usage: mods_manager.py [-h] [-v] [-d] [--downgrade] [-p FACTORIO_PATH] [-u USERNAME] [-t TOKEN] [-l] [-i MOD_NAME_TO_INSTALL] [-U] [-e] [-r REMOVE_MOD_NAME]
                       [-E ENABLE_MODS_NAME] [-D DISABLE_MODS_NAME] [--reload] [-s SERVICE_NAME] [-nrd] [-nrrd] [-iod] [-rod] [-icd]
                       [--alternative-glibc-directory ALT_GLIBC_DIR] [--alternative-glibc-version ALT_GLIBC_VERSION] [--update-mod-manager]
mods_manager.py: error: The directory "" for the alternative GLIBC library points to nothing !
To be clear, my config.json looks like this:

Code: Select all

"alternative_glibc_directory": "",
 "alternative_glibc_version":  ""

TheSilas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheSilas »

I should add that I'm now on GLIBC 2.31 with the new version of Ubuntu

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

TheSilas wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 am
i don't know what that factorio-mod-manager is but it sounds like you should report a bug with its author, because it's not maintained by Wube.

better off just uploading your mods directory..

Return to “Technical Help”