[1.1.19] Lockup randomly during play (Ubuntu 18.04)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Rakhal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.19] Lockup randomly during play (Ubuntu 18.04)

Post by Rakhal »

Randomly during play the game will just lock up totally. The mouse moves, but the keyboard is totally unresponsive. I have to reboot my machine to recover.
This started in 1.1.19, 1.0 was solid as a rock.
I've not had the lockup occur before about 10 mins after starting, it nearly always will lock up before 2 hours
My map is a very large one, save file is 466MB
I'm running on Ubuntu 18.04
Unfortunately it seems that 1.1 saves are not compatible with 1.0, I tried downgrading, but I couldn't load my save.
Logs attached:

Any help appreciated, this is making it quite hard to play :(
--Rakhal
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
factorio-current.log
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.19] Lockup randomly during play

Post by Twinsen »

With the lack of information I'll have to blame this on hardware or OS.
There's not much we can do with the current information.
Maybe try to investigate more, see if maybe the game ends up leaking RAM. Is it saving during lockup?

Rakhal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Rakhal »

Doing some experiments, it doesn't seem to be leaking ram noticeably and I've not seen any save corruption (though if it locks up that does stop it auto-saving after the lockup, everything is frozen except the mouse pointer.
This problem does NOT appear to happen on Windows. I loaded the same save file on both and on Windows it seems perfectly solid, I was able to play for hours with no problem.
Memory usage. On Linux F-13 save (www.rakhal.com/xfer/F-13.zip) seems to take about 11GB of memory, on Windows 8.8 GB. Not sure why the extra 2GB on Linux.
There is a fair bit of randomness about this.Sometimes it will lock up quite fast. occasionally it will not lock up at all. If it managed to survive more than a couple of hours it seems that it is then fine for as long as I want to play, saving OK at the end, and then most likely locking up when I try to exit
If I had to guess I'd say this looks like some sort of memory smash.
I doubt that it's a HW issue, memory tests don't reveal any issues and if I don't play Factorio the box is very stable with uptimes measured in months. And on 1.0 Factorio it was likewise very stable. It could easily be some sort of OS interaction, especially since there doesn't seem to be an issue on Windows.
Hope this is of some help
--Rakhal

KeepResearchinSpoons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KeepResearchinSpoons »

just a random guess...
But that look like you got niced.

50/50 either that or ubuntu has broken your graphic drivers while updating yet again. You know ubuntu maintainers ppl are sometimes even more mad than deb ppl ever were. And also pls do NOT use sleep/hybernation/etc while testing. It used to work fine before win10 but now it is often graphic-driver level broken for some reason.

So check that your ubuntu-drivers or whatever is working fine. check that `$ free -h` during game launched shows at least around 10% free memory (or use a `htop` bar if you'd rather see some gui bars then). Then try doing runs with full screen and not full screen. Try testing the system is indeed configured as it was before with 1.0...
You may also want to see system/user logs from your box through some log-parser gui app that is. If something is crashing it should not do so silently.

The point is you SHOULD NOT be able to freeze the box with a game only. It SHOULD crash at the very least. Not proceed while broken and break/crash the system it is running at.
But as I've seen lots of times... even an easy browser app can cause BSOD/full_freeze/kernel_panic by simply requesting an impossible graphic operation with certain drivers at certain hardware. The very fact this is possible looks like a loophole to me but well video cards and its drivers are way more complex than CPUs so no wonder.
Hope this helps, best regards, // the random spooner guy

Return to “Technical Help”