Couldn't establish network communication with server.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
karg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Couldn't establish network communication with server.

Post by karg »

Hello,

I bought the game to play together with a friend (2 PCs, same network). Surprise, it does not work (see title). Both of us are able to join any random open public game. We downloaded the game from the official site and play on v1.1.8. After I did some searching it seems the isses is with ports forwarding. And here the trouble begins.

I have no idea how to forward ports. I read several articles, i searched the steam forums and of course this forum but not a single topic was helpful. So far I never did any portforwarding nor do I know what it exactly is, which makes it even more complicated.

The settings in my router are as follows.
ports.jpg
ports.jpg (105.27 KiB) Viewed 675 times
Most "tutorials" tell me just that: "You want to forward port 34197, and you want to select UDP." What about the two empty boxes under "public" and the one under "local"?

edit: In the "Windows Defender Firewall settings" (incoming/outgoing rules) there are 2 entries for Factorio in "incoming". If I click on them, one says under "Protokols and Ports": TCP and the other says UDP.

Anyone here to help me please?

Ragards,
karg

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Couldn't establish network communication with server.

Post by Zavian »

karg wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:21 pm
I bought the game to play together with a friend (2 PCs, same network).
If the server/host and client are on the same network, then you shouldn't need to use port forwarding. Just select the "LAN" tick box when hosting, and "Browse LAN games" on the client. If the client still can't see the server then find out what local IP address the server is using and have the client use "connect to address".

If you use a firewall, then you might need to unblock Factorio in the firewall.

karg
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Couldn't establish network communication with server.

Post by karg »

This actually worked. Great. Thank you very much! I feel stupid now :)

Return to “Technical Help”