[1.1.5] Ctrl+V does not paste blueprint string

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.5] Ctrl+V does not paste blueprint string

Post by Squelch »

Zanthra wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 pm
I don't believe it has. The OP has a keyboard that is not standard US language keyboard. It is QWERTY, but another language, it's not clear which one. The windows paste keybinding of Ctrl + V works out of game, but this may be due to windows recognizing a different key code as V than standard US layout would assume. Out of game, Shift + Ins is also a paste command, but in game it does not work, so the game is not relying on windows to identify the paste command, instead it has some internal keybinding evaluating Ctrl + V for paste, but it may not be correcting for the alternate layout properly. The on screen keyboard, when set to QWERTY US, should provide the standard US key codes to Factorio, avoiding any input layout issues.

PS: My expectation is it still won't work, but it is worth ruling out the possibility.
Ah, yes, you make a good point. Scancodes are not always the same as keybinds when it comes to localisation.

Perhaps if @ShootHostage can let us know what their locale, and the exact keyboard layout that they use, we can get to the bottom of this?

PS: US language is not the standard :P

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:54 pm
PS: US language is not the standard :P
I say standard US since I have US, and US Dvorak enabled on my computer.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

To ensure that the correct scancode (if indeed that is how Factorio reads keyboard input) try the following:
  1. Open Settings > Controls > Search for "paste"
  2. Right mouse to clear the current binding
  3. Left mouse to re-assign the binding
  4. Press CTRL+V
  5. Confirm
This should hopefully read the correct keys and assign them to the "paste" action in Factorio. The result may look exactly the same as what was there previously, but that is merely the display, and not necessarily what codes the keyboard sends or are read.
Zanthra wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:05 pm
I say standard US since I have US, and US Dvorak enabled on my computer.
I am of course playing with you. :D
My keyboard is British fwiw.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pm
To ensure that the correct scancode (if indeed that is how Factorio reads keyboard input) try the following:
  1. Open Settings > Controls > Search for "paste"
  2. Right mouse to clear the current binding
  3. Left mouse to re-assign the binding
  4. Press CTRL+V
  5. Confirm
This should hopefully read the correct keys and assign them to the "paste" action in Factorio. The result may look exactly the same as what was there previously, but that is merely the display, and not necessarily what codes the keyboard sends or are read.
The key binding in Factorio for copy and paste of entities is not the same key binding as for text. If you change that "Paste" binding to Ctrl+T for example, you can't paste text such as in the blueprint import box with Ctrl+T, it still uses Ctrl+V. The text paste keybinding is handled separately it seems.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

That leaves the question. Is this a bug?

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

Yea So I even try the windows visual keyboard with no luck :(
I do nothing, but playing Factorio

Return to “Technical Help”