[1.0.0] Inventory laggy in multiplayer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ylsid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Inventory laggy in multiplayer

Post by ylsid »

Recently, to celebrate 1.0.0 I decided to play factorio with my friend who lives a few thousand kilometres away, like we had before. While I expect things like vehicles and shooting will be laggy as they always have been, now basic actions like inventory management and assigning items into the hotbar has extreme lag- about a second of delay. Additionally, walking around creates a lot of catchup and syncing issues, resulting in occasionally jittery movement. There weren't issues on the last version we played, which was 0.14.21-0
Unfortunately the game is pretty much unplayable like this.
We aren't using any mods, our connections have only improved since then. Both entirely fresh installs.

For more information:
Laggy stuff
- resource harvesting
- taking from containers
- building
- doing anything at all with inventory

What stayed with no lag
- building

Some extra lag
- walking

Demonstration video
https://streamable.com/cxw8uh

Thank you for taking the time to look.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
My log (server host)
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
factorio-current.log
My friend's log (player)
(15.35 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.0.0] Inventory laggy in multiplayer

Post by Loewchen »

The log shows very high latency which can mean network issues or performance issues on the client side.

ylsid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ylsid »

Yes, latency is very high, it's a connection from Japan to the UK. However this feature used to use lag hiding but now it doesn't, but building still does. You can no longer use your inventory without lag like you could in previous versions, ping independent. I presume this isn't intended behaviour- hence my post in the bug reports forum.
It would be a massive shame if we had to revert to an earlier version for playability.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

The latency shown in the log can not be explained with remoteness, light from earth reaches the moon before client packets reach the host.

ylsid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ylsid »

Really? That's very unusual. This is happening when we join public servers too, to a much lesser degree. Why isn't it being affected by lag hiding?

bigmond
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bigmond »

It is probably worth noting that in many countries when Corona hit such a large number of people moved to remote working that many ISPs showed some performance problems. Youtube struggles, Netflix struggled, Discord struggled.

While steps have been taken to mitigate this, and many people have returned to work there is still more load on the network than last time you played and it could be affecting your latency.

That said it could be your run of the mill network performance issue.
Please no more spagetti, I cant eat any more.

ylsid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ylsid »

I guess? But that still doesn't explain why inventory actions no longer have latency hiding. They used to. There would be zero lag when interfacing with the inventory at all in past versions. As in, literally zero. I may even try to boot up an old version to confirm.

tobsimon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tobsimon »

I might be stating the obvious, but latency is usually significantly reduced by switching from WiFi to ethernet cable, especially if (maybe new) neighboring WiFis cause interferance.

ylsid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ylsid »

tobsimon wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:24 am
I might be stating the obvious, but latency is usually significantly reduced by switching from WiFi to ethernet cable, especially if (maybe new) neighboring WiFis cause interferance.
We're both using ethernet. This issue is a new one and is because latency hiding is no longer working on the inventory, despite working fine elsewhere.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

ylsid wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 am
tobsimon wrote:
We're both using ethernet. This issue is a new one and is because latency hiding is no longer working on the inventory, despite working fine elsewhere.
Just FYI: latency hiding has never been a thing for inventory related actions. So if you think it was fine in the past it was because your latency was much smaller.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ylsid
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ylsid »

Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:15 pm
ylsid wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 am
tobsimon wrote:
Just FYI: latency hiding has never been a thing for inventory related actions. So if you think it was fine in the past it was because your latency was much smaller.
Really? I had no idea. I guess it must be latency related then. Why not? Would make overseas play so much less painful.

Return to “Technical Help”