Dedicated server help

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
tatertacoma
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Dedicated server help

Post by tatertacoma »

I want to set up a server for a group of people in a discord channel I am in (less than 12 people). I want it to be available all the time so I want to make it a dedicated server so it can stay up even when I am not available.
I am semi acquainted as I have set up servers before (mainly Minecraft and lightly in a few other games).
I have gotten as far as setting the server up and connecting to it via another machine. I have not tested it externally but I can connect to the server by the LAN server list and direct connect. But when I try to connect using the Public games list I get an error saying "Couldn't establish communication with server"
Some info that may help:
I have not tested for an outside computer, only two computers connected via a switch on the same network
The computer running the server is in a DMZ
There is a server-settings file set up
When I try to connect using the public browser it is clear that it recognizes the game but nothing appears on the server when I click "Play Game"

Any help would be appreciated, if you need anything more from me, let me know

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dedicated server help

Post by Loewchen »

Post server and client logs after a session with the issue, see my signature.

tatertacoma
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tatertacoma »

I have tried getting a friend connected (between posting this and now) and as expected, they get the same problem.
I have tried binding a few ips but it either still didn't work or just crashed the server.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Server. Just starting and quitting after quitting game on client
(4.29 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
factorio-current.log
Client. Just starting game, and going directly to public and trying to join game, than quitting game after.
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Did you set up port forwarding on your router? See: https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer
If you did that already, try disabling the router firewall.

Return to “Technical Help”