Running 2 factorio versions

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Aya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Running 2 factorio versions

Post by Aya »

Hello there,

I've been running factorio 0.16 for quite some time now and I will be for quite a long time.
But I want to try newer versions of factorio on another computer while keeping the old base running.
The old base can run without steam since it will never be updated.

What would be the best way to do that?
Can I buy a 2nd "website-key" under the same factorio-account?
Do I need to make a 2nd factioro account?
Will I be able to log in with both games at the same time without a problem?

Best regards,

Aya

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Running 2 factorio versions

Post by Loewchen »

Generally you can run as many versions as you like and don't need additional accounts. You just need to make sure that they are installed independently for multiple installations on the same system.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

If you want to use multiple versions, then I recommend top get in the habit of using the portable .zip downloads. The steam and .exe installers both save important data in the %appdata%. Multiple versions of Factorio all trying to share the same data files will just cause problems. (eg older version of Factorio won't load your blueprint library using a newer version of Factorio. Even if your installs are on separate computers things like Steam sync might cause the same problems).

Using the portable .zip versions will avoid those issues.

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

i had the same question a month or so back. as mentioned the .zip version is the way to go.
i have three different 0.18 'installs' all with different versions.
it also helps when you connect to multiplayer servers that utilise differing mods from one another.

Return to “Technical Help”