LAN lag

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
spotter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

LAN lag

Post by spotter »

I have network latency issues while playing over LAN. There is absolutely no excuse for this kind of game to have lag issues; even over internet, let alone LAN. I have read the forums, there are wild theories on why someone has lag. It is usually suggested, that the player's PC is slow or some other sort of issue not related to this game being not optimized correctly.

Dear Factorio developers, fix your broken ass game before you ask 20 EUR for it.

VERSION: 0.17.79

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: LAN lag

Post by Rseding91 »

Does this describe what you're seeing? https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-83
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: LAN lag

Post by Zavian »

I've played thousands of hours of Factorio, hundreds of hours of multiplayer (most of it between Australia and Europe, where on a good day the ping is only 250 ms. On a bad day it might spikes upto 3 seconds). All of it on a 10 year old computer that is slow by modern standards. The game has always been playable even with 3 second pings, except for the few times my computer has struggled to keep up with the server (generally because of either 400+ simultaneous players, or a mega base that my computer simply can't process as fast as a more modern server).

If you are genuinely having extreme lag, then post the information requested in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68653 and I (or someone else) can take a look, and we might be able to pinpoint the problem.
spotter wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am
It is usually suggested, that the player's PC is slow or some other sort of issue not related to this game being not optimized correctly
I feel the game is well optimised. My 0.18 vanilla factory has over 3.8 million entities, with around 594,000 of those being active, and my 10 year old computer can still run it at 60 fps/ups. How many other games can cope with over 500,000 active entities? (Note that is a vanilla game, some mods can have a noticeable performance impact. Post the info I requested above, and someone will be able to tell if your mods are causing issues).
the player's PC is slow

That bit about players with "slow" computers having problems is oversimplified to the point of being misleading. It is never about a computer being "slow" in absolute terms, but about a client taking longer to process a game tick than the server, and even then it is only relevant once the base gets large enough that the slower client can no longer run the base at full speed. I should know. I have experienced it playing multiplayer on my 10 year old computer. Post the information I asked for above, and we can tell if that is the issue.

Return to “Technical Help”