Best CPU

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
lamenters
Inserter
Inserter

Best CPU

Post by lamenters »

Hello Everyone,

I want to invest in a new computer, ostensibly for simply playing Factorio. As I understand it, Factorio doesn't support multi threading/multi cores, something along those lines any way. Factorio does use RAM and GPU but FPS/UPS is mostly core speed. (Please, I encourage corrections if this is not right).

This leads me to a chip question, what would be the best CPU to buy to play Factorio? :shock:

L

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: CPU Type

Post by JimBarracus »

A cpu with good single core performance
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I have a i3 8350k at default clock speed and I never noticed any fps drop.
they are around 150€ new and the socket has a lot of potential to simply grab a bigger cpu in the future.
But untill now it is sufficient for everything.

lamenters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lamenters »

Thank-you kindly,

Do you think that it would run a 1200 spm megabase for example?

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I heard RAM speed can sometimes be the bottleneck when it comes to Factorio? I don't really know what to make of all the discussions, but at least bear in mind that probably just anything might not do.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

MEOWMI wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am
I heard RAM speed can sometimes be the bottleneck when it comes to Factorio? I don't really know what to make of all the discussions, but at least bear in mind that probably just anything might not do.
I would always recommend to buy the fastest ram that your mainboard/cpu support.
Usually ddr4-3200.

But yes, factorio also needs fast ram.
lamenters wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:20 am
Thank-you kindly,

Do you think that it would run a 1200 spm megabase for example?
I personally never aimed for mega bases.

ArnoldZiffle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ArnoldZiffle »

What else do you plan to do with the computer? I am assuming you are not building it just for Factorio. If you plan to play other games I would look at their requirements to see the range of hardware games are suggesting (although I find those suggestions a little off myself).

PC Parts Picker has a variety of computer build recommendations and consumer built rigs you can look at and see what others are building at the moment.

I just upgraded my 5 year old rig that ran Factorio just fine (i7-4790K with GTX970, 16GB). I don't have anywhere near the mega-base compared to what some others build but never had an issue. Well once when Big Bags mod didn't load and a couple million pieces of ore carpeted the world I had like 5UPS. lol

My new rig runs M.2 drives and that is what made the most difference for me loading the game. Even with 30 or so mods the load time is 1/5 what it was on the old system.

lamenters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lamenters »

More or less, yes only for factorio.

I run an i7 4770k with six cores, GTX 980 and 32GB of RAM but, as we all know, the factory must grow. :roll:

VampireSilence
Inserter
Inserter

Which CPU is best for Factorio?

Post by VampireSilence »

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a new computer, so i have free choice of my next CPU and i wondered what is the best CPU available for a maximum UPS in Factorio?
Is it a i9-12900K (provides 24 threads) ? Or even a Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX (provides 128 threads) ? The secondary question here is how many threads can be reasonably utilized by Factorio. Oh and money is no concern btw.

i9-12900K : https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
Ryzen Threadripper : https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd ... pro-5995wx

I also wondered if it is possible to run Factorio as a docker grid, so i can utilize the computation power of multiple machines for one single world. Is that possible somehow?

And no, i am not aiming for an avarage base. I want to know where is the limit, so i can possibly build the biggest base ever made in vanilla Factorio.

asheiduk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Best CPU

Post by asheiduk »

A few days ago a link to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D test flew by:

viewtopic.php?t=102127

The better/bigger caches seem to give Factorio quite a push forward.

Return to “Technical Help”