[0.18.17] Error trying to connect to MP server Invalid packet (type ServerToClientHeartbeat) with 10G Nic

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
djnono
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.17] Error trying to connect to MP server Invalid packet (type ServerToClientHeartbeat) with 10G Nic

Post by djnono »

So, since a few days (weeks ?) I can't connect to some MP servers (others work perfectly)
The error in the log is Invalid packet (type ServerToClientHeartbeat) received from IP ADDR:({95.216.28.149:7010}): heartbeat sequence number (553786) outside latency window [552986, 553786)
bug_connection_error.zip
(73.57 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
The attached zip includes full log, network trace, and a wireshark connection of all transactions between me and the server during this attempt.
Server was ColonellWill's, Vanilla playthrough, no mods.
Same error with steam, or fresh install from factorio.com

I have a 10g fiber, and no issues with any other games, so I don't think it's on my side, but everyone else could connect without issues, so I'm not absolutely ruling it out.
I have a 55ms ping with the server, and a traceroute shows no abnormalities
A quick look at Wireshark trace indicates no packet or sequence errors

Tried several public MP servers, some work, some produce the same error.
Server log indicates nothing special either.
Last edited by djnono on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-- Amahashadow

djnono
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Error when trying to connect to MP server Invalid packet (type ServerToClientHeartbeat)

Post by djnono »

Second Test to isolate my network, I just tried from an old laptop, same network config (only difference being 1g copper instead of 10g sfp) and I can connect to the same server.
Also tested over wifi without issue.

So is it possible that the 10g network breaks factorio somehow ? buffer on the tx/rx queues ?
-- Amahashadow

ckreon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Error when trying to connect to MP server Invalid packet (type ServerToClientHeartbeat)

Post by ckreon »

I want to echo that 10G NICs do indeed seem to break Factorio Multiplayer.

I was having Invalid Packet Type errors before swapping over to my 1G - all fixed.

I was troubleshooting with my laptop first, similar to you, wondering why it was connecting just fine, even if I used the same hard-line as my desktop. This explains that, to some degree.

It's still unclear what issues are arising with the 10G NIC - perhaps MTU related but that appears the same as the 1G NIC on my machine (1500).

djnono
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by djnono »

the packet are all small in size, so I highly doubt it's MTU related. And since I can only play with the MTU on the client side, I can't really be definitive about it.

I've also confirmed that switching to a 1G nic solves the problem, with the exact same config, and that using a 10G nic on a pc which is known to work fine instantly breaks it, so there is definitively an issue with 10G nics.

I've only tested SFP+ Nics as this is what I have on hand, specifically an ASUS XG-C100CF and an Aquantia AQtion)

Marking it as a bug
-- Amahashadow

Return to “Technical Help”