[0.18.16] Crash on start: "Error: Failed to create a texture...E_OUTOFMEMORY"

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Kryptos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.18.16] Crash on start: "Error: Failed to create a texture...E_OUTOFMEMORY"

Post by Kryptos »

Game crashes on start. I reinstalled it through Steam. Game still crashes on start. Error messages alternate between the one that asks you to post a log file and "Failed to create a texture". Crashes at about 40%. I don't recall if I have any mods installed, but it's not giving me the option of a modless start due to a crash, so I figure I'm running vanilla.

Well, here's the log. Saved games don't seem relevant.
factorio-current.log
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

mikiqex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18.16] Crash on start: "Error: Failed to create a texture...E_OUTOFMEMORY"

Post by mikiqex »

I'm here because of the exact "problem"! :-) I didn't notice I'm low on RAM when launching the game and it crashed twice exactly as you describe, with third attempt resulting in BSOD.

I know this isn't exactly developer's fault, but Isn't there a way the game would check sufficient memory is available? I wouldn't mind the crash, but the BSOD was a bit too much...

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.16] Crash on start: "Error: Failed to create a texture...E_OUTOFMEMORY"

Post by posila »

mikiqex wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:08 am
I know this isn't exactly developer's fault, but Isn't there a way the game would check sufficient memory is available? I wouldn't mind the crash, but the BSOD was a bit too much...
BSOD is problem with OS (probably drivers), or HW. Errors in user-space applications don't cause BSODs for many years at this point.

In other words, I don't know what to do differently, outside of not running any code at all, to make it less probable for BSOD to happen while the game is running.

Return to “Technical Help”