Save Game

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Save Game

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Hello,

My computer resets its image on reboot which is usually fine however lately it randomly goes into standby while on DC without the ability to recover resulting in loss of save data.

Is there any parameters to change the save directory, not listed on the site? (https://wiki.factorio.com/Command_line_parameters)

I usually write the game data to disk on login through script and just choose what mod pack I want. I guess I could just link the saves to local disk so they're not actually on there but I'd rather do it through Factorio.

magmalive
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Save Game

Post by magmalive »

You can use
"use-system-read-write-data-directories=false" in config-path.cfg, this is what the ZIP contains, then the saves are stored in a folder "saves" in your Factorio-folder.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

magmalive wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:44 pm
You can use
"use-system-read-write-data-directories=false" in config-path.cfg, this is what the ZIP contains, then the saves are stored in a folder "saves" in your Factorio-folder.
All right, thanks I'll try and figure that out!

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Simplest option is probably to just use the .zip version. That version will store your mods and saves within subdirectories and is fully self contained and portable, so you can run it from another drive (or even a usb stick).

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Zavian wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:59 am
Simplest option is probably to just use the .zip version. That version will store your mods and saves within subdirectories and is fully self contained and portable, so you can run it from another drive (or even a usb stick).
I do use that version :) but running internal vs external is just a lot more stable/reliable. Any ways this is solved now through the config file.

I guess I'm not very good at searching stuff
cube wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:24 pm
There is a file config-paths.cfg, two directories up from the binary, which points to the config directory with file config.ini inside. In this file, there is a section "paths" and inside it variable "write-data", which you can change to point anywhere you like.
This directory contains four subdirs: saves, mods, scenarios and temp, so you would probably have to share these as well (unless you want to do some symlink trickery, but then you wouldn't need moving the directory in the first place).

Return to “Technical Help”