Savegame migration from 0.14.22 to 0.17.74

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mazar83
Inserter
Inserter

Savegame migration from 0.14.22 to 0.17.74

Post by mazar83 »

Hello everyone,

Ok bear with me here because this is a lot. I run Factorio via Steam and I can select the version of Factorio to run using the “beta” menu.

1) Savegame: mnm-77-0.14.22-0.zip
Back in April 2017, I had been playing (what I consider to be a large base) for months. I had not yet launched a rocket. The reason was that I had decided to play Bob’s Angelthon or something like that plus another marathon mod.

2) Then, life’s responsibilities interrupted me. I did not play for over two and a half years.

3) This week I decided to load the latest stable Factorio (0.17.74 without mods) and see what has changed. I attempted to load my old savegame. The green loading bar reached full, but then stayed that way overnight. What does this typically mean? Is it possible to force the game to load even if it means a lot of items/recipes will be removed?

4) I found my mod pack backed up from years ago and put those mods in Factorio’s mod folder. After loading Factorio 0.14.23., I was able to load my savegame! There were some missing items/recipes as is to be expected, but the vast majority of structures/items were right where I left them.

5) I decided I want to bring my save to version 0.17.74 since there have been a lot of improvements, so I loaded that version of Factorio and attempted to load my savegame. Again, the green loading bar remained indefinitely. I force enabled all the red, outdated mods and got the same result.

6) Savegame: mnm-77-0.15.40-0.zip
I tried again with Factorio 0.15.40-0 and I was able to load my game! There were some missing items/recipes as is to be expected, but my base was mostly intact. I got my hopes up that I could do this for each major version release until I reached 0.17.74.

7) I loaded Factorio 0.16.51 and got the green indefinitely loading bar. I have a lot of mods with this savegame. I noticed that most of them are not supported past version 0.15, and about half of them are not supported past 0.14.

I attached both savegames and my log files.

Can I somehow force my game to load in the latest version? I am willing to accept that many items/buildings will be lost or changed. Or even that cliffs cut through my base. What do you suggest?

Thanks!
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(72.54 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
factorio-current.log
(64.97 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
mnm-77-0.15.40-0.zip
(11.49 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
mnm-77-0.14.22-0.zip
(11.2 MiB) Downloaded 60 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Savegame migration from 0.14.22 to 0.17.74

Post by Loewchen »

It should be possible to load your save in 0.17, but it will not be worth it. Ignoring the problem with discontinued mods, vanilla itself has changed so fundamentally since 0.14 that you would have to rebuild half of it for your base to work, not only because of missing entities but because of changed recipes.
My suggestion would be to continue your 0.14 save in 0.14 and start a new game if you want to try 0.17.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The save file was in a corrupt state due a previous bug that has since been fixed. Also a lot of the mods don't exist anymore or ended up broken and wouldn't load so I disabled them until they did.
mnm-77-0.17.79-0.zip
(7.29 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

mazar83
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mazar83 »

Factorio forums is great! I was able to load my save in 0.17.79. Yes, there is a lot missing, but its still better than starting from scratch.

Much appreciated Rseding91!

Return to “Technical Help”