Game is unplayable on PC's

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mysoft
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Game is unplayable on PC's

Post by mysoft »

can you please fix your game so that it work on PCs? by getting rid of this retarded 64bit requirement?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Game is unplayable on PC's

Post by BlueTemplar »

You can totally play a 32-bit version... as long as you don't mind sticking to 0.14 !
https://factorio.com/download
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

mysoft wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:35 pm
can you please fix your game so that it work on PCs? by getting rid of this retarded 64bit requirement?
Maybe try Minesweeper, that's probably more your level.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mysoft wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:35 pm
What exactly are you asking us to fix or change about the game?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

64-bit computing in some form or another was introduced in 1961. (Yes, one nine six one, almost sixty years ago.) Most PCs today use x86-64, which was announced in 2000 and first available in hardware in 2003. 64-bit Linux has existed since 2001, and 64-bit Windows has supported it since 2005.

Unless you happen to be one of those few people running an IA64 processor, your computer is old and it's time to replace it.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

DaleStan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Unless you happen to be one of those few people running an IA64 processor, your computer is old and it's time to replace it.
More likely his hardware is already 64bit capable, and he just needs to install a 64bit version of Windows, and possibly buy more ram.

@mysoft. Reverting back to 32bit is unlikely. More and more games are going 64bit only, both because they need the extra memory, and because Apple are making 64bit a requirement going forward.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

There is an issue there with not being able to compile a 32-bit version of Factorio ourselves...
I trust Wube to have a plan in place to release the source code for when (not if!) the company will shut down, which is likely to happen sooner than the copyright running out, but they're an exception here... (as usual)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

kbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kbk »

4 GB RAM was a theoretical boundary for memory addressing in 32 applications, and this much is already not quite enough for smooth performance in daily tasks like browsing the internet.
AFAIK there is no difference in licensing between, say, Windows 7 x32 and x64, so I guess one could relatively safely reinstall his OS to x64 version and reuse the product key if his hardware has support for x64 systems. In case it hasn't – well, it likely means that the hardware in question is beyond at least 12 years of service, which to my opinion is a push to get rid of this sand pile and buy a new pc.
I wonder why people still utilise x32 systems in 2019...
DaleStan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:14 pm
64-bit computing in some form or another was introduced in 1961. (Yes, one nine six one, almost sixty years ago.) Most PCs today use x86-64, which was announced in 2000 and first available in hardware in 2003. 64-bit Linux has existed since 2001, and 64-bit Windows has supported it since 2005.

IA64 is also a 64-bit instructions set although incompatible with x86 architecture. Last batch of CPU models that support this set has landed market circa 2017 and was targeted primarily for HP infrastructure, so nobody would ever want to play anything heavier than mahjong on those, I guess. Except some enthusiasts, maybe.

Return to “Technical Help”