[0.17.66] Can't host multiplayer server, neither join one

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Pennervomland
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.66] Can't host multiplayer server, neither join one

Post by Pennervomland »

There comes an authentification server error every time i try. My friend can host a server easily but I can't join and when I look in "public servers" there comes a weird error. It's right on the page where normally other servers would show. It says:

"Download failed (status code 520): JSON-Answer couldn't be analysed: unexpected Sign (F) at ?:1"

When I try to join my friend or host a server myself it says:

"Connection to authentification server failed. Could be an internal server error"

(something like that. I have my client in german so it probably doesn't say these exact things in english but that's how I'd translate it)

Would be really good if I could get help today. Really wanna play 0.17 with my friend

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.66] Can't host multiplayer server, neither join one

Post by Bilka »

Please provide a log file of a session where you encountered those errors.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

The requests are timing out, that means that either you don't have an internet connection (unlikely) or something is blocking the request, such as a firewall. Try disabling it.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

Rather than fully disable your firewall this site helps you open up the required hole in your firewall (router) to allow people to connect to your server.

https://portforward.com/

Factorio usually runs on UDP / 34197

Also see .. https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

billbo99 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 am
Rather than fully disable your firewall this site helps you open up the required hole in your firewall (router) to allow people to connect to your server.

https://portforward.com/

Factorio usually runs on UDP / 34197

Also see .. https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer
That won't fix their problem. Factorio cannot connect to auth.factorio.com.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

Sorry my work proxies block "pastebin" ... I wonder if they have something in their local hosts file re-directing "auth.factorio.com" at another location.

@Pennervomland ... From a command line prompt what do you get when you do a

Code: Select all

nslookup  auth.factorio.com

From the UK I see these targets

Pennervomland
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pennervomland »

Sorry, I just realised that I probably wasn't clear enough. The connection failure happens only on 0.17.66. There are no problems on the most recent stable version (I think it's 0.16.51). No authentification server error or anything like that, I can just create and join servers whenever I want. So I don't think that there is a problem with my firewall.

Anyways, the addresses I get with nslookup auth.factorio.com are:

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

Can both you and your friend join any of the public servers .. RedMew & Comfy run various scenario's 24x7 ?

There was a change .. in 0.17.59 .. for user verification, not sure if that is related.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Version_histo ... .0#0.17.59

User verification must be enabled for public multiplayer games. LAN games, direct-connect, and Steam still don't require user verification.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

billbo99 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Can both you and your friend join any of the public servers .. RedMew & Comfy run various scenario's 24x7 ?

There was a change .. in 0.17.59 .. for user verification, not sure if that is related.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Version_histo ... .0#0.17.59

User verification must be enabled for public multiplayer games. LAN games, direct-connect, and Steam still don't require user verification.
It's not, that's just some logic checks when you go to host a game. the underlying auth system is still the same.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Pennervomland
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pennervomland »

Can both you and your friend join any of the public servers
I can't, my friend can. I can't even see them though. So it's not that I double click on any server and there is an error but instead the site that normally shows the different servers has this error after loading a bit: "Download failed (status code 520): JSON-Answer couldn't be analysed: unexpected Sign (F) at ?:1"

Not sure if that got into the log file. I don't think that's something that gets in there.

I hope that I can at least play it when the stable version comes out. Have no clue what else I could try to make it work right now. (Multiplayer. Solo games work fine)

Pennervomland
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pennervomland »

Ok just to add some questions that might help me fix the problem or just so I know that it might work in the stablized version of 0.17:

1. Is the authentification server of 0.17 and 0.16 different right now? Is there something like a "stable" auth. server and an experimental one? As I said multiplayer works just fine on 0.16 for me. I just can't do anything on 0.17 multiplayer wise.

2. What should I do if I still can't play with friends online even in the stable version of 0.17? I love this game but I enjoy it so much more with friends... obviously...

3. Any further suggestions on what could be the problem and how I could potentially fix it? (BTW deactivating firewall didn't have any effect)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Isolate it, swap the router, swap the pc...

Pennervomland
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pennervomland »

I mean... Im not gonna swap my router nor my PC. The problem is definitely not my internet. It wouldn't work at all then

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

If it's just you and your friends, you could try a private game that doesn't need to connect to authentication servers ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Pennervomland
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pennervomland »

If it's just you and your friends, you could try a private game that doesn't need to connect to authentication servers ?
That's what we are trying to do. Same way as we did in the current stable version. I create a game, invite him, he joins, we play. If I try this I get stuck at "create a game" since the authentification servers c***-blocking me (lul). Same thing (auth. server) happens when I try to join a game that he created

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Are you sure that you have unchecked BOTH of "Visibility : Public" and "Verify user identity" when creating a game ?
Because then the game shouldn't even try to contact authentication servers...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Pennervomland wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm
That's what we are trying to do. Same way as we did in the current stable version. I create a game, invite him, he joins, we play. If I try this I get stuck at "create a game" since the authentification servers c***-blocking me (lul). Same thing (auth. server) happens when I try to join a game that he created
So, this is on steam that you invite him?

Return to “Technical Help”