Poor performance [0.17.66]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
fur_and_whiskers
Inserter
Inserter

Poor performance [0.17.66]

Post by fur_and_whiskers »

fur_and_whiskers wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 am
@Polisa & Rseding
Today I ran Factorio and it has updated to the latest version 0.17.64 and there have been some very positive changes.
... 8< ...
So a very positive improvement. There have been further updates for the MSI motherboard, a Microsoft USB driver and NVidia since our last exchange. I'll have to put it down to that.
@Polisa & Rseding
I spoke too soon,
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=73217&p=451075#p451075
Everything worked okay for a couple of short sessions, but the problem is back and just as bad
Yes, I'm keeping my drivers up to date. Factorio version 0.17.66.

Started the game this morning and navigated the menus only, CPU cores 0, 1 & 2 are locked at 100% while the game is in focus at the main menu.
Loading and playing a game is back to being very laggy, jarring hitches, FPS fluctuating between 48 & 60 just by running around, laggy mouse pointer that doesn't follow movement properly. Exiting the saved game and going back to the menu and the 3 CPU cores are still locked at 100%

I quit the game, started again and recorded a sleepy session - during this I have not loaded a save or started a new game, all I've done is started Factorio and navigating menus without making any changes or selecting anything.
Attached is tge sleepy file and sleepy CSV export. I had to add a 3 letter extension to the sleepy file for it to be accepted as an attachment, please remove .log from its file name.
No fun at all.
I'm really hoping you can find something in the sleepy file

EDIT since then I reloaded a game, tried turning all the graphic settings down in game and this changes absolutely nothing to help. The save is very early game with only 2 assemblers for gears and red science and 4 steam engines.
Attachments
19 08 23 Factorio 0.17.65 capture start menus only.csv
(24.98 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
19 08 23 Factorio 0.17.65 capture start menus only.sleepy.log
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Poor performance [0.17.66]

Post by posila »

Hey, similarly to the previous capture you posted (I probably didn't respond to that, did I?), it shows the process it basically just sleeping.

Just to rule things out, try to disable Logitech LED support in Settings -> Other (and restart the game).
If that doesn't change anything, try to disable sound by setting launch options in Factorio properties in Steam Library to --disable-audio

If I make a capture on my computer, it looks very similar to yours. Maybe capture of 0.16 on your computer would show some interesting differences.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

fur_and_whiskers wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:56 pm
EDIT since then I reloaded a game, tried turning all the graphic settings down in game and this changes absolutely nothing to help. The save is very early game with only 2 assemblers for gears and red science and 4 steam engines.
Another thing that would be good to rule out is - does forcing OpenGL renderer change anything? Open Factorio properties in Steam Library and set launch options to

Code: Select all

--force-opengl

fur_and_whiskers
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fur_and_whiskers »

Apologies for not responding earlier.

Earlier whilst I said it had "a very positive improvement" when it worked better, the UPS/FPS counter regularly flickered below 59, 58 or lower while playing. Cores 0,1 & 2 were seemed pretty busy for such an early play through stage. I figured 0.17 was just more CPU hungry than 0.16 stable.

Well, I've been playing the new release 0.17.69 stable this week and very pleased. Whatever has happened since I last posted has really made a big difference. After loading up any game in Factorio, CPU cores 0, 1 & 2 have significantly lower usage than before as in barely noticeable and everything in the game is quick and snappy. FPS/UPS is as solid 60.0 as could be hoped for. This now, is a far, far better experience of 0.17 than before.

As this was an intermittent problem, there's the possibility I'll have trouble again. However, I've put it through its paces with my normal activity since the release of stable. Previously I'd have to restart the computer before running Factorio to get that "positive improvement". So I'm feeling optimistic.

Thank you for your help and support.

Return to “Technical Help”