How to reduce the consumption of ups due to the inserter

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
qegr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How to reduce the consumption of ups due to the inserter

Post by qegr »

Translated by Google :)
My factory has about 50k inserters, after I removed all the electric poles and trains, the ups still only 35, okay, my cpu is bad.
After continuing to delete all the inserters, ups back to 60.
That's right, even if there is no power, the inserter still consumes a lot of ups.
I have feedback this question, but the response is that this is not a bug.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74011
So how to reduce the consumption of the inserter is the problem that is currently being solved.

The following is my plan:
:idea: Use stack filter inserter instead of stack inserter and use circuit network control.The stack inserter disabled with the circuit network is still half consumed. The stack filter inserter without the filter is almost no consumption. I can activate them when the train arrives at the station.
:idea: The inserter of the assembly machine is controlled by a circuit network with an accumulator,calculate the production time, only the assembly machine produces about 12 items to activate the inserter.

I hope to get other optimization suggestions, thx

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: How to reduce the consumption of ups due to the inserter

Post by Rseding91 »

Inserters taking from or putting into something will go to sleep and consume no CPU time when they have nothing to do.

However, you've built 40,000 of them and it's just never going to run well because it's beyond what any CPU that exists can do.

Simply put: there's nothing you can do - you've exceeded the limits of what can be built without slowing down.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

TLDR:
Filter mode can save a fraction of inserter ups.

Filter inserters in whitelist mode triggered every n ticks by a combinator timer used to cut down inserter ups compared to letting inserters handle their work-sleep cycles themselves.
Filter inserters are forced into sleep mode when they don't have filters set. On/Off controlled inserters check their pick up location to determine if they should be in sleeping.
2019-08-16-08-08-21-5321225.png
2019-08-16-08-08-21-5321225.png (156.04 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
As you can see the left inserter does not sleep when turned off, because it has something to pick up.
The same effect happens when belts move items through inserter pick up spots.

That being said I've only ever used this for single item UPS challenge builds.
In a real megabases getting the timings right for every filter is too much of a hassle to be practical and the UPS gain is really minimal. Removing all biters and fish has magnitudes larger impact.

qegr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by qegr »

Optera wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:17 am

As you can see the left inserter does not sleep when turned off, because it has something to pick up.
The same effect happens when belts move items through inserter pick up spots.
Thanks for your image, this gives me a hint, I can use the debug mode to view the entity activity status for targeted optimization.
  1. starve input(s)
  2. wait until there are no more items produced, causing every inserter and machine to enter sleep mode (except fluid only recipes, as they don't allow sleep mode)
  3. turn off power
Your solution is good.
It’s just that my production line is very long. It takes a long time to wait for no more products. I still have to control each input inserter. It’s really a hassle. I really hope that if the entity cuts off the power, it can sleep directly.

Translated by Google

Return to “Technical Help”