Server running in background?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Server running in background?

Post by irbork »

How do you keep the server running in background when you go back to the main menu?
How to set up autopause when there is no players online? Is there server config file, because the server creation gui has very limited options.

I need the server to autopause when I am in work and no one is playing on windows.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Server running in background?

Post by Zavian »

Setup a headless server. https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer#D ... ess_server

I recommend using either a separate computer or a dedicated install (eg using the .zip download), because trying to run two instances that share the same folders will probably result in error when they both try to open the same logfile.

Octal40
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Server running in background?

Post by Octal40 »

Launch the client with the --no-log-rotation parameter if you want to run the server and client out of the same install. It's in the instructions Zavian linked.

By default, the world pauses if there are no players connected to a dedicated server. You'd need to alter the server-settings.json file to allow the world to continue without players AND specify the settings file in the command when you launch the server.

Return to “Technical Help”