[0.17.52] macOS sudden graphics issue

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
siege10
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.52] macOS sudden graphics issue

Post by siege10 »

Hi Factorio,

I'm a little bit lost for data however I updated to macOS 10.14.5 that came with a long over due computer restart on Tuesday (25th June) and proceeded to play Factorio [0.17.x via Steam]. First impression after loading the game was the UI scaling was totally off, which was strange. It was set at 125% and I had to move it 250% to feel comfortable to as it was. I don't know if I've been playing at 125% or 250% but the UI scaling was now the same.

When I loaded a small sandbox map to do some design the game was stuttering and lagging. When I pulled up my FPS, it was struggle to maintain 25-30fps with 60 UPS. As far as I was aware I'd changed nothing other than a potential game/OS update.

I lowered some of the graphics settings to no advantage until I read about the macOS retina option. I disabled the option which made the game run smoothly (60 FPS) however, with noticeable detail difference.

I restarted my computer and the game multiple times to try and tweak it back to normal but nothing seem to return it _the old times_. I have no logs from before the restart to compare but is there any specific that comes to mind?

Specs:
15" Mac Book Pro 2016
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6920HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8 cores
16GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro 460 4GB VRAM
External 4K monitor

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.52] macOS sudden graphics issue

Post by posila »

Hello, from the description, it sound's to me that after the macOS update, macOS realized Factorio supports high-dpi rendering now (since 0.17.0) and launched it in native resolution. That would explain that you suddenly needed to double the UI scale option.

Radeon Pro 460 is not exactly slow, but it's not quite good enough for 4K gaming at 60 FPS. So I believe with "Render in native screen resolution" option disabled, the game is how it was before the update, but now that you've seen the native resolution, it looks bad when it's upscaled.

siege10
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.52] macOS sudden graphics issue

Post by siege10 »

Sounds like a believable story :D Thanks for the quick response.

Return to “Technical Help”