How to increase FPS (not UPS)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Drithius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How to increase FPS (not UPS)

Post by Drithius »

So, I previously played Factorio maybe a year back. As far as I recall, the only lag I witnessed was [slightly] lower UPS when my base got gigantic - which was to be expected. Cut to now, and my FPS routinely dips down to approximately 42 - then just as mysteriously stabilizes at 60 until the next time it happens. All the while, my UPS is a stable 60 and my base is barely out of mid-game.

Does anyone have some ideas on what may have been introduced in the past year or so, graphics-wise, that could account for this sporadic drop in FPS? I've played around with some of the graphics settings to no avail.

edit: I should say that I'm running this on a 1070gtx and the fps is stable at 60... right until it's not. And then it hangs out around 42 until it stabilizes again. I don't get it!

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to increase FPS (not UPS)

Post by Zavian »

Drithius wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:35 am
Does anyone have some ideas on what may have been introduced in the past year or so, graphics-wise, that could account for this sporadic drop in FPS? I've played around with some of the graphics settings to no avail.
A rendering rewrite, with a move to sdl and more modern versions of Dx and opengl. (In general that should result in faster rendering).

I would start by uploading a logfile, along with the screenshots requested in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638#p299295, and maybe Posila or someone else will have a better idea on what settings to adjust.

Return to “Technical Help”