[SOLVED 0.17.4] [0.17] Dyld Error Message: Symbol not found: _typeinfo for std::bad_variant_access

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[SOLVED 0.17.4] [0.17] Dyld Error Message: Symbol not found: _typeinfo for std::bad_variant_access

Post by SupplyDepoo »

I get this error message when I open factorio 0.17:

Here's the report: https://pastebin.com/raw/5sQYV4VY

I remember there were similar problems when you released 0.16, and posila managed to fix it eventually. I know there was talk at some point later about dropping support for Mavericks with the rendering engine update, and I suspect this is what's happened, but the download page still says 'compatible with Mavericks', so I'm not sure.

I mentally prepared for this eventuality, and I started shopping for a new computer already, just looking for confirmation.
Last edited by SupplyDepoo on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

haberslam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17] Dyld Error Message: Symbol not found: __ZTISt18bad_variant_access

Post by haberslam »

This is happening for me as well for 0.17.2.
I'm running OS X Sierra 12.6

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: __ZTISt18bad_variant_access
Referenced from: /Applications/Games/factorio.app/Contents/MacOS/factorio
Expected in: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
in /Applications/Games/factorio.app/Contents/MacOS/factorio

Model: MacBookPro14,3, BootROM MBP143.0178.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.45f0
Graphics: kHW_AMDRadeonPro555Item, Radeon Pro 555, PCIe, 2048 MB
Graphics: kHW_IntelHDGraphics630Item, Intel HD Graphics 630, Built-In
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x802C

haberslam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by haberslam »

Same error as before comes up for the downloaded dmg for 0.17.3

Mac OS X 12.6

Uthrom
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Uthrom »

Did some digging around, and found the following on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... t/ehc4ucf/
According to this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/523 ... t/53868971 post the missing symbol (__ZTISt18bad_variant_access) is only available with MacOS 10.14+
All std::variant functionality that might throw std::bad_variant_access is marked as available starting with macOS 10.14 (and corresponding iOS, tvOS and watchOS) in the standard header files. This is because the virtual std::bad_variant_access::what() method is not inline and thus defined in the libc++.dylib (provided by the OS).

However, you can suppress the availability compiler error by adding _LIBCPP_DISABLE_AVAILABILITY to the Preprocessor Macros ( GCC_PREPROCESSOR_DEFINITIONS) in the project settings. It turns out that it already works in High Sierra, not only Mojave (I've tested down to 10.13.0). Note that this will also suppress other availability guards (shared_mutex, bad_optional_access etc.).

It seems to be possible to make it work with 10.13.0, if the developers recompile with the mentioned pre-processor constant.

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17] Dyld Error Message: Symbol not found: _typeinfo for std::bad_variant_access

Post by SupplyDepoo »

I won't install anymore updates on this computer, but luckily I'm getting a new computer in a couple weeks. It'd be cool if I could play 0.17 before then, and based on that StackOverflow answer it sounds like this specific error could be fixed, but I suspect there are many more errors lying in wait behind this one that the devs probably don't want to take on. At least the download page should be corrected, though.

haberslam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17] Dyld Error Message: Symbol not found: _typeinfo for std::bad_variant_access

Post by haberslam »

You guys are spectacular. 0.17.4 launched without errors.

Mac OSX Sierra 12.6

SupplyDepoo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SupplyDepoo »

Wow, you're right. I can launch the game now. But I get a crash at the end of the loading screen – I made a new thread for it.

Return to “Technical Help”