Game performance

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Morlow
Inserter
Inserter

Game performance

Post by Morlow »

Hey all, I am currently working on my base that I want to eventually be a megabase. Current power usage is about 1.5 gw ramping up to about 2 during spikes (no beacon usage) . I am already seeing performance drops down to 45 fps or so when I am zoomed out near large belt areas. My computer is no slouch: i7 7700, gtx 1070 and 32 gb of ram. What is the performance bottleneck in this game? I didn't expect I would have performance drops until my factory was at least 5 times the size it is right now. What kind of computer do people have to run a megabase smoothly?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Game performance

Post by Zavian »

Post the information requested in this post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638#p299295.

A UPS efficient design is the key to good performance for megabases. That is why almost all megabases use productivity modules + speed modules, since that allows them to reduce the number of active entities.

The best/most extreme example of a UPS efficient base I can think of is https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... confidence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8DZo368Jw.

Morlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Morlow »

Wow that's very helpful. To be fair my base is primarily belt based with trains secondary. After seeing that base I will try to make the transition to mostly trains. Thanks!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

One thing I noticed did notice with that post is that it claims that miners sleep when there is no train there. That is not true (source).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Technical Help”