Randomly GPU jumps to 100% usage

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
KnoBuddy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Randomly GPU jumps to 100% usage

Post by KnoBuddy »

Out of nowhere all of a sudden my entire computer starts slugging real hard and when I check task manager Factorio is somehow miraculously using 100% of the GPU. My frames in game drop below 20 fps and my computer is slowly still running but very delayed in response. Luckily nothing crashes and I am able to save the game and restart Factorio to fix it. It's happened nearly 20 times.

I havent been able to reproduce this in any significant way. Just happened again when auto saving this time. Doesn't seem to matter which save or map or point in the game. Nor have different versions seemed to make any difference but I've only play .16.x

Anyways here's a screenshot.
Attachments
Glitch.jpg
Glitch.jpg (360.07 KiB) Viewed 1370 times

KnoBuddy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Randomly GPU jumps to 100% usage

Post by KnoBuddy »

I'm running an Asus Strix 970 and a i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz with 24 GB of DDR3. Factorio is running off of an old 2.5" SSD but it happens on any disc I run off of. Also this is the no installation version not the version with Steam.

KnoBuddy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnoBuddy »

...and it just did it again. I don't know if it has something to do with alt-tabbing or because it's running in windowed mode but wow this is getting frustrating.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I recommend posting at least a log, but preferably all the information requested in "how to report performance problems". viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638#p299295

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Try going into power-options and change it from "balanced" to "high performance" (if it isn't already). If that has any impact then it might be that the system is down-clocking your CPU and or GPU thinking it doesn't need to be at full speed to do what it's doing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

KnoBuddy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnoBuddy »

I hate to rain on your parade but I've already been there and done that. I'm not new to computers and troubleshooting is something I'm pretty good at. I even dedicated it to "high priority" and ran as admin.

There is a bug or glitch somewhere with my hardware and the game. Runs fortnite just fine and I never see an issue.

The reason I know is that the game doesn't stop doing it until I close the entire program. Even when I go back to start screen to load or start a new game it is still sitting @ 100% even at the title screen. I have to close it and reopen. No other game I play does this.

KnoBuddy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnoBuddy »

Zavian wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 am
I recommend posting at least a log, but preferably all the information requested in "how to report performance problems". viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3638#p299295
Will do. Next time it happens I will follow the instructions. I checked and tried to see what was needed but didn't find these instructions somehow.

Will follow up next time it happens.

Return to “Technical Help”