Headless server fighting over log file.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
theradman221
Inserter
Inserter

Headless server fighting over log file.

Post by theradman221 »

I am having an issue where if I start factorio then my headless server the server works fine. But if I close factorio and try to restart it it gives me a error that the current log is not movable. So i'm wondering if it is possible to change where the server saves it's log file so they don't fight over the same file. I'm running windows 10.
Last edited by theradman221 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strahlend
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Headless erver fighting over log file.

Post by Strahlend »

You need to edit the config path in your server files to navigate to a Factorio Server file in your Roaming folder. Here is my example.

ORIGINAL: config-path=__PATH__system-write-data__/config#

MY SERVER PATH: config-path=C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Factorio-Server\config#

Strahlend
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Strahlend »

OK So I actually fixed this by accident and didn't give you all the info. So in your server folder you will have a text file that is called "config-path". That is the file path I gave you before. That tells the server where to find the server config settings. OK. Now you need to go to your roaming folder (in the windows search bar type %appdata%) and you will have a factorio folder in there. You may have a server one, you may need to make a copy of the factorio one and rename it factorio-server. OK once you have done that now open up that factorio-server folder in roaming and go to config. In there you will have a config.ini I recommend making a back up of this just in case. After creating a back up on the top of the config.ini file you will see read-data and write-data. Change the write data to where you want to server to save a new log whenever you start the server. Here is my example.

read-data=__PATH__system-read-data__
write-data=C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Factorio-Server

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Actually the easiest way is to just use the .zip download from https://www.factorio.com/download and make a factorio install that is separate your existing factorio installation. The .zip version will be completely self contained with it's own mod folder, save games and log files.

theradman221
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Headless server fighting over log file.

Post by theradman221 »

Thanks for all the help!

Return to “Technical Help”