Will system requirements be lowered?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Victorian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Will system requirements be lowered?

Post by Victorian »

I really like this game but my computer has trouble running it. Specs are 1,46ghz dual core T2310, 2gb ddr2 ram and Geforce 8400M GS.

For the most part things are fine and the slow computer adds a new dimension to building since the base must use as little resources as possible.

The Roboport and flying bots however is very resource intensive, just hovering over a Roboport to see coverage area causes lag, even before I build any bots. Will this be optimized at any point or is there any way of increasing performance aside from setting graphic detail to lowest levels?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Will system requirements be lowered?

Post by cube »

There will be two changes in 0.11.0 that will probably help you: The area highlight of roboports will not have so many lines drawn, that could speed up your game. Also, the game will automatically skip rendering frames if there is not enough time to keep the game speed constant, which should prevent slowdowns.

Meanwhile you can try setting the low FPS mode in settings.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Want to mention here, that turning up the number of threads to more than two helps also with the roboport highlights.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

I think that 2GB of Ram just won't be enough if you're getting to a decently sized base. This is easily upgradable though.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

ssilk wrote:Want to mention here, that turning up the number of threads to more than two helps also with the roboport highlights.
Increasing the number of threads above 2 won't help in OP's case as his CPU doesen't have support for Hyperthreading technology so no virual cores. This means that his CPU can only process two threads at a time and not four as most modern dual core intel CPU's can.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

2 gig of RAM is not enough for nearly any modern game. With this limitation, it might be suggested to stick with basic online flash/html5 games.

Victorian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Victorian »

The cpu was overheating and throttling down, I fixed it and the game runs faster and much better now. All my yellow inserters instantly upgraded to fast ones :D

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Marbles wrote:I think that 2GB of Ram just won't be enough if you're getting to a decently sized base. This is easily upgradable though.
I guess that means I don't care for modern games at all :P
When something failed to run for me, it was due to missing sharder model 3 support or low VRAM, not system RAM.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

Victorian wrote:I really like this game but my computer has trouble running it. Specs are 1,46ghz dual core T2310, 2gb ddr2 ram and Geforce 8400M GS.
The Geforce 8400M GS lists as having at most 256MB of vram and that will likely cause problems unless low graphics mode is enabled. Factorio currently needs slightly less than 512MB of vram with normal graphics. Improving that is on the road map for 0.12 .
Marbles wrote:I think that 2GB of Ram just won't be enough if you're getting to a decently sized base. This is easily upgradable though.
My current save makes Factorio use 2GB of system ram on Linux x64 so if I were to play it on a system with 2GB RAM it would probably get very slow due to paging stuff out to disk. That said the 32 bit versions of programs are typically a little more memory efficient.

Return to “Technical Help”