[0.16.36]Unexpected error occured, game does not launch

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
hailstone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.36]Unexpected error occured, game does not launch

Post by hailstone »

I downloaded the game through Steam, and verified integrity of the files. It tells me to check saves, mods, logs, etc., but I don't have any of that. I can't find a log file anywhere. Based on the page about the log file, I should be looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64, correct? (that's where I found the version number).

I am on Windows 7 Home, 64-bit. I am not sure what to try next or where to look to figure out what is going wrong.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.16.36]Unexpected error occured, game does not launch

Post by Loewchen »

RMB on factorio in steam library > properties > local files > browse local files. factorio-current.log

hailstone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hailstone »

I saved out a dump file using Task Manager while the error message was displayed, in case that gives any pointers as to what might have caused this problem. I was able to run Factorio after I tried rebooting my laptop (I forgot that it usually goes to sleep / wakes up rather than restarting Windows.) However, I don't know why this would have made a difference, and I'm somewhat concerned that it might happen again in the future.

I was able to find a log file after the game decided to run, but it was in AppData\Roaming\Factorio rather than the steam local files directory.

Edit: Steam updated itself after I rebooted, so perhaps there was something out of date with Steam itself causing the problem?
Attachments
factorio.DMP
(117.9 MiB) Downloaded 62 times

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

hailstone wrote:I saved out a dump file using Task Manager while the error message was displayed, in case that gives any pointers as to what might have caused this problem. I was able to run Factorio after I tried rebooting my laptop (I forgot that it usually goes to sleep / wakes up rather than restarting Windows.) However, I don't know why this would have made a difference, and I'm somewhat concerned that it might happen again in the future.

I was able to find a log file after the game decided to run, but it was in AppData\Roaming\Factorio rather than the steam local files directory.

Edit: Steam updated itself after I rebooted, so perhaps there was something out of date with Steam itself causing the problem?
Yes, that is the correct directory for the log.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

hailstone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hailstone »

Loewchen wrote:So it's working now?
Yes, it is working now.

Return to “Technical Help”