Multi-version Factorio ?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Multi-version Factorio ?

Post by Mr. Tact »

Hi guys and gals. Not sure this is the right place to ask, but if not I assume someone will move my post.

I am currently a couple of hundred hours into a 0.15 version play-thru of Sea Block. I am enjoying myself thoroughly. I'd rather not update the game/save to 0.16, mainly because with this much time into the game I just want to finish it as I started it. No problems there. Except, I'd love to start a new vanilla game in 0.16. Is there a convenient/easy way to have multiple versions of Factorio installed and working? If it makes any difference my copy is on Steam. Perhaps, I could buy another copy directly from the devs and do a separate install somehow?
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multi-version Factorio ?

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Download the zip version of the installer, unzip it to wherever. Use the exe in the bin folder inside that unzipped version. That is a different version of the game, not technically installed.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

At the risk of sounding like a dolt... so, place the zip version in an alternate directory and simply launch the executable in the bin folder and it will load the version in the alternate directory -- completely ignorant of the previously existing version, correct? Practically sounds too good to be true. Never guessed it would be that easy.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Mr. Tact wrote:(...) so, place the zip version in an alternate directory and simply launch the executable in the bin folder and it will load the version in the alternate directory -- completely ignorant of the previously existing version (...)
Yes, the .zip installation only uses files inside its folder and all files it generates, like saves, settings or mods are created in its folder.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Handy. That works well as a portable version then, you could load it from an USB stick and play on any system.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Loewchen wrote:
Mr. Tact wrote:(...) so, place the zip version in an alternate directory and simply launch the executable in the bin folder and it will load the version in the alternate directory -- completely ignorant of the previously existing version (...)
Yes, the .zip installation only uses files inside its folder and all files it generates, like saves, settings or mods are created in its folder.
Wait, even the stuff that the Steam version generates in %appdata%/Factorio (logs etc.)?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

fiery_salmon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fiery_salmon »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Loewchen wrote:
Wait, even the stuff that the Steam version generates in %appdata%/Factorio (logs etc.)?
Maybe Steam version is worse also in this aspect and only non-Steam Factorio keeps to its folder?

Return to “Technical Help”